We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Pole on the Russian 50 Years of Victory Vessel

Melbourne Australia
reviews: 2
North Pole on the Russian 50 Years of Victory Vessel

I understand there are many options available to visit and experience the natural wonders, wildlife, northern light, etc. at various parts of the beautiful Arctic circle region including Greenland, Iceland, spitsbergen, Canadian arctic, Russian far east, etc. on a boat cruise.

I am keen on visiting the North Pole 90 degrees and could only find the nuclear powered Russian vessel makes a couples of trips during summer time. This is more for personal reason than anything else. After my initial findings the 2 odd weeks journey from the pricing stand point is rather on the north side indeed. I will have to work for it :-)

I am wondering if anyone out there have made the trip to North Pole on this Russian vessel. I would appreciate if you could please share your experience. I am keen on the following:

- the journey through the thick layers of frozen ice and the continuous cracking and breaking noise

- the time spent on the so called moving North Pole landing area

- Is kayaking on the Arctic waters an optional activity?

- Is polar plunge into the waters an activity included?

- the on-board service, entertainment, etc

- the knowledge, attitude, level of service of the crew

- Is English among other languages spoken by the crew

- Any interesting places the vessel stops for views other than the North Pole point.

- any further information would be very helpful indeed

Cheers................TRS007

13 replies to this topic
Fritz Creek, Alaska
reviews: 56
1. Re: North Pole on the Russian 50 Years of Victory Vessel

Not sure you will find an answer on this forum - this is Alaska. The only North Pole we have is a town out side of Fairbanks.

Boston...
reviews: 92
2. Re: North Pole on the Russian 50 Years of Victory Vessel

Not sure after reading post 1 if this post has been moved from another forum, but if it was this still is not the correct one. Antarctic adventures are the other end of the earth :)

Michigan
reviews: 18
3. Re: North Pole on the Russian 50 Years of Victory Vessel

If there isn't an Arctic Adventures Forum, this may be the best place for TRS to ask his or her question. I've been to the Arctic (though 10 degrees shy of the pole) and imagine others here have as well. Perhaps some have even reached the pole or at least researched going there. I've done a bit myself, and it isn't clear to me whether the ship goes all the way or if the last part of the journey is actually by helicopter.

London, United...
reviews: 30
4. Re: North Pole on the Russian 50 Years of Victory Vessel

Might be worth asking this in the Murmansk forum as that's more the right side of the world and i think where this ship sails from!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 29
5. Re: North Pole on the Russian 50 Years of Victory Vessel

I know many people who travel on the 50years annually.

Pop over to the Quark Facebook page. Plenty of repeat passengers and staff who can answer each question.

English is spoken on all Quark ships.

Noise - the 50years is super quiet engine wise - giving more opportunity to hear the lovely sound of the ice crunching and breaking against the hull. My most favourite sound in the world.

Kayaking and polar plunging - you need to check the details of the specific itinerary as to what is on offer.

Melbourne Australia
reviews: 2
6. Re: North Pole on the Russian 50 Years of Victory Vessel

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and input.

I am back on the crazy mindset and intention to visit the Geographical North Pole.

I will resume my fact finding exercise triggered by a wedding that I have to attend in Athens at end of July 2014. Thinking about bundling the N.P visit.

Cheers.

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 54
7. Re: North Pole on the Russian 50 Years of Victory Vessel

At least Athens is in the same hemisphere, which is more than you can say for Antarctica!

Pecatonica, Illinois
reviews: 184
8. Re: North Pole on the Russian 50 Years of Victory Vessel

We were on the Sea Explorer with Poseidon Expeditions, and many crew from that staff are going on the 50 Years of Victory. They were excellent, excellent staff. We have a booklet about that trip. If you'd like the booklet duplicated and sent to you, shoot me a message. There are pictures of the last trip, and several of the leaders from the Antarctic trip we took also do this trip. It sounds amazing. Some of the people on board our ship had parks from this expedition from previous years and were signing up a second time.

Hong Kong
reviews: 22
9. Re: North Pole on the Russian 50 Years of Victory Vessel

Just got an email from one of the polar agents re this ship, which says 2015 is the last year it will be visiting the North Pole carrying passengers. Would love to do it, but the cost makes an Antarctic cruise look like an absolute bargain! Though I am sure it would be quite amazing....

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 29
10. Re: North Pole on the Russian 50 Years of Victory Vessel

Yes this was announced a month ago by Quark. The Russian govt has recalled the FYOV breaker - as they did with the KK in 2011.

Reply to: North Pole on the Russian 50 Years of Victory Vessel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted