We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone fancy a Ross Sea Voyage Jan 2014?

Queenstown
reviews: 1
Anyone fancy a Ross Sea Voyage Jan 2014?

Heritage Expeditions have announced in their latest newsletter (about 2 days ago I think - should still be availability?!)) that a Natural History company is chartering the Akademik Shokalskiy to the Ross Sea region of Antarctica this January 2014. With Orion being sold to Linblad and changes of destination, there are not many chances to get down to this side of Antarctica.

Akademik Shokalskiy (sp?) is the sister ship to Spirit of Enderby, and has been on many Antarctic voyages in the past - well suited for the ice.

It is my understanding that the Ross Sea voyages usually book up at least a year in advance, and have waiting lists... so this is a great opportunity to get onto a voyage in six months time!! If I didn't have work commitments, I would be in ;)

Here is the link in case anyone is keen to take a look: heritage-expeditions.com/trip/…

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 29
1. Re: Anyone fancy a Ross Sea Voyage Jan 2014?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akademik_Shokalskiy

Dont recollect it being a sister ship to Enderby - what Enderby's previous names been over the years before ?

Friend sailed on the AS in 2012. No major issues as far as I recollect them mentioning.

You are right tho - the Ross Sea trips are getting as rare as hens teeth so they will book out fast whenever released.

Bad timing for me - will already be heading back to Sth America at that time :)

Will add this post to the Top Questions > Ships and expedition companies links

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
2. Re: Anyone fancy a Ross Sea Voyage Jan 2014?

Another itinerary there for Feb 2015

heritage-expeditions.com/trip/…

Will have to start saving as soon as I arrive back from the 3rd trip!

Queenstown
3. Re: Anyone fancy a Ross Sea Voyage Jan 2014?

Spirit of Enderby is also known as Professor Khromov- sister ship to Akademik Shokalskiy :)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
4. Re: Anyone fancy a Ross Sea Voyage Jan 2014?

Ahhh ok - didn't see the former name (or dual name) on their literature.

Queenstown
5. Re: Anyone fancy a Ross Sea Voyage Jan 2014?

Correct perfectly perth - the name adorning the front of the ship still reads Professor Khromov (in Russian!)

6. Re: Anyone fancy a Ross Sea Voyage Jan 2014?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:24 am, July 26, 2014