We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Le Boreal cruise 18 Feb 2014 any one on this cruise?

Gold Coast...
reviews: 18
Le Boreal cruise 18 Feb 2014 any one on this cruise?

My countdown has begun, getting items ready for packing, love packing and finding ways to pack lighter. Doing a photography course for my canon slr to ensure i know how to combat the white surroundings. Would love to see who is going on this ship.

26 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 29
1. Re: Le Boreal cruise 18 Feb 2014 any one on this cruise?

Not me - but will add a link to your thread on the roll call Top Question (top right of screen).

Enjoy the photography course. One thing to practice on - if you are a fan of birds - Go somewhere where there are heaps of seasgulls flying around and practice following them in the air with the lens. Good to get the hang of that before trying it on the deck of a moving boat. The minute I close one eye to look through the viewer while angled upwards to the sky - I started wobbling!!!

Re the packing - again have a wander over to the Top Questions and you will see links titled "What to pack" - go to Part 3 for the most recent ones I linked up.

Most of the technical clothing is super light - the weight in your luggage is traditionally the camera and computer gear and chargers etc !! Take a powerboard so you can plug in multiple things to charge at once. This is the nifty one I have used for trips in the past 18 months

traveluniverse.com.au/Mains-Power-USB-Charge…

London, United...
2. Re: Le Boreal cruise 18 Feb 2014 any one on this cruise?

I wish I was. Enjoy it and have a good time and take some great pics (You know how now ) and then show us.

Gold Coast...
3. Re: Le Boreal cruise 18 Feb 2014 any one on this cruise?

thanks for the idea about the seagull shots!! i might try that when I am whale watching from land tomorrow. have a great weekend

Horsham, Australia
reviews: 23
4. Re: Le Boreal cruise 18 Feb 2014 any one on this cruise?

Hi Denise...you best ask your question in French as most of the passengers will be of that persuasion. Of 180 passengers on the L'Austral Feb. March this year, over 150 were French, and Australians were the next best represented - 8 of us in total, then 6 Poms and the rest a mixture of U.S., Canadian, Belgians etc.

But this was a good thing as it was a great chance to practice your French and you weren't overburdened with your countrymen that you have to put up with everyday that you are back in OZ!!!

I hope to put up my trip report on the L'Austral soon that will tell you how great your choice of cruise is, as well you know , L'Boreal is the sister ship.

Gold Coast...
5. Re: Le Boreal cruise 18 Feb 2014 any one on this cruise?

thanks for your reply, it will be great to hear what you thought of the ship etc - esp power plugs etc! Scenic tours from OZ have chartered it so i am assuming it will be mostly Ozzies (i may be wrong!) sounds like your trip was a real laugh!

Horsham, Australia
6. Re: Le Boreal cruise 18 Feb 2014 any one on this cruise?

Yes, it sounds as if you will have plenty of countrypeople to share your trip with Denise if the ship is being chartered by ScenicTours. I have lots of advice regarding clothing and the ship etc that I hope to include in a trip report but will include here in case i don't get around to it.

For a start, the powerpoints will need a universal adaptor. One will do as you will have oodles of time to power up camera battery or ipad or whatever. Ya don't need a powerboard as the suites are either for 1 or 2 people only! Don't bother sending or checking emails etc or using the net-why bother in such a wonderful environment- coz it is so slow it will drive you crazy and will cost a fortune!! So be warned, wait till you get ashore!

The food and service is outstanding and you will feel as though you are in a high-class Paris restaurant Denise. The best bar is up on 6th deck and the cocktails are both extensive and very reasonably priced, usually 10 euro, beers 5 or 6 eu. Wine, red, white and rose , is free with all meals.

And know to clothing! You will be given a very warm down jacket that you can keep if you have room to bring it home so leave some room for it. On board it is very warm so you will need just you normal clothing, with perhaps some good gear for the couple of semi formal dinners. A warm fleece jacket such as a Katmandu type is handy to quickly put on to go out to the balcony or outside decks to view the many whales and other wild-life that you will encounter.

Now for the on-shore landings- I obviously can't guarantee the weather but if it is too windy and rough the zodiacs wont be put into action for that excursion. We were so lucky in that we went on 11 out of a possible 11 zodiac excursions. All bar one were in brilliant sunshine with very smooth seas. Suncream is a must!

Most people wore the supplied jacket, on very sunny and calm days, a waterproof jacket was all that was needed as the down jackets can get too warm, but of course you can discard them upon landing and put them back on when going back on the zodiac-no one is going to pinch them and there are no ferals living there either!!! A neck muffler or good scarf is needed for the zodiac as they scoot along and create a fair bit of breeze and often spray. A pair of ski gloves are also a must and a good light pair of waterproof trousers are a necessity too. The North Face or Katmandu have a good range. Cheapo ski pants are a no-no as they sweat too much and are too heavy, so don't skimp on the pants. So a thermal top and long johns first, then a lightweight merino top and then the jacket are usually all that is needed, 2 merinos if you are a cold fish! They don't take up much luggage space at all. 2 lots of thermals will suffice as you can easily wash and dry these along with smalls and merinos in your cabin.

A good woollen jumper is a good idea for under the jacket if the weather is quite cold or windy but in

saying that, I don't think I ever wore mine on the landings!!

A beanie is also a necessity. For footwear, it is a good idea to hire the rubber boots rather than worry about packing and taking your own. They are very warm and comfortable and the rental people come on board at Ushuaia to make sure that your ordered size fits and are ok.You will only need a pair of those comfy 60% wool hiking socks on your feet, don't worry about sock liners or anything else-you don't need them.So two pair of these socks for the trip would suffice.

A backpack with a good plastic bag and freezer clip is what you need for your good camera and lens. It's a good idea to also take a cheaper little auto camera for shots in the zodiac and when you need to act quickly. This can be kept in your coat pocket !!

So that's about it Denise, if you have any other queries don't hesitate to ask. Cheers, Peter

Gold Coast...
7. Re: Le Boreal cruise 18 Feb 2014 any one on this cruise?

WOW what a post thanks! yes I am sure to have more questions. I will think on what I would like to know and then do it all in one hit rather than ad hoc. sounded like a fab trip!. i was going to go on a less expensive trip & I had chosen out a smaller ship and happy to share the room etc but then the scenic tours one came along. Since I get sea sick quite badly if i am not careful and i do want do alot of whale watching on deck and balcony etc so to have my own room with a balcony would be fab. SO i splashed out and i know i won't regret it. What I am trying to do is photograph as many humpback whales flukes (tails) and see if i can match any with the whales I photograph up in Hervey bay and at the same time GPS them so i can get a trail of where they sort of went! well that is the idea anyway hahaha. have a nice weekend. Den

Horsham, Australia
8. Re: Le Boreal cruise 18 Feb 2014 any one on this cruise?

You have taken the right idea in having a suite to yourself Denise, I had one too and it was so good just pleasing yourself when and where you wished to go and what to do.As for the sea-sickness, when you are cruising around the Peninsula and islands,I very much doubt you would get sick as all of these waters are very sheltered with no swell, you are usually in quiet bays or channels. This is where the whales like to feed and play. We saw heaps of Humpbacks and have many snaps of their flukes and fins. Apparently you can send your pics to a site that will identify the individual whales and tell you the whales travel history etc. We also saw many orcas, minkes, a few Fin whales and many types of dolphins.

I would definitely see your doctor to get some seasickness medication for the trip as the crossings of the Drake Passage can be staggeringly rough. We experienced 30 to 40 foot seas on the way there and most people that didn't have patches or tablets were AWOL for the whole 2 days and nights. I was 1 of 6 people on the cruise that didn't get crook and didn't have any medication. There is a doctor on board to get medication but it is usually too late once you are crook. I think that you need to start taking the medication 2 or 3 days before you start the cruise. Peter

Horsham, Australia
9. Re: Le Boreal cruise 18 Feb 2014 any one on this cruise?

If you are sailing on the Boreal or L'Austral over summer, especially if you are on with scenic cruise charter, and you have any queries, put your question up and I will try to give you an answer to help with your plans, e.g. clothing, sea-sickness, zodiac landings etc.

I am trying to talk my partner into the trip so that I can return to this amazing part of the planet, and these two ships are just wonderful for the cruise. Cheers

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 1
10. Re: Le Boreal cruise 18 Feb 2014 any one on this cruise?

Hi Denise,

Yes we are booked, even though it is 5 months to go we are also very excited. Thanks Peter some great information, a wonderful example of the value of the Trip Adviser forums.

We are taking the full 30 day tour with Scenic starting in Santiago on the 7th of Feb.

See you onboard, fingers crossed our crossing is a little smoother than Peter's trip.

John & Kathy. Brisbane

Reply to: Le Boreal cruise 18 Feb 2014 any one on this cruise?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted