We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Falklands, S Georgia and Peninsula

Bozeman, Montana
Falklands, S Georgia and Peninsula

If you could and had to choose, would you visit in mid-late November or February? thanks, Alyce

19 replies to this topic
Saratoga, CA
reviews: 11
1. Re: Falklands, S Georgia and Peninsula

I am intrested in peoples' recent experience with Quark for Falklands, South Georgia, and the Peninsula. FYI, this would be our third trip to ANT and our second Quark expedition. We have favored Quark based on the quality of their staff.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 27
2. Re: Falklands, S Georgia and Peninsula

What are your specific questions ?

I've done Sth Georgia with Quark on the KK and going again in Feb on the SA with Quark again.

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 44
3. Re: Falklands, S Georgia and Peninsula

Alyce - it would depend on what I wanted to see. What do you want to see?

bynaysrl - I'm puzzled why you didn't start your own question, or ask a specific question. Asking for "experiences", is very vague, and unlikely to elicit meaningful information.

I'm sure there must be trip reports hanging around if you want to look for them....

Bozeman, Montana
4. Re: Falklands, S Georgia and Peninsula

I had wanted to go in January but those cruises seem to be filled, at least in the cabin levels that I can afford. My traveling friend is not keen on going for most of December although I would consider it so see the wildlife. I am intersted in when I can see the most baby/young birds, primarily penguins. I do plan to go to Falklands, S Georgiz and peninsula...so that is why my question is whether November or February would be better. I know that the scenery is always magnificent but the life stage of the wildlife differs. thanks.

Bozeman, Montana
5. Re: Falklands, S Georgia and Peninsula

Looking forward to your response as you live there!!! travelbug

Stanley, Falkland...
6. Re: Falklands, S Georgia and Peninsula

In general, November would be too early for chicks, so I suggest February.

The Falklands has 4 different species of penguins, and each has a slightly different breeding pattern.

It's worth doing some research on them so you are aware of what is likely to be around when you visit. Also, not all colonies are accessible every day due to weather, and the ship size (and other ships!).

The King penguin colony at Volunteer Point will have chicks all year round, but it is a long day trip and difficult to get to.

Bozeman, Montana
7. Re: Falklands, S Georgia and Peninsula

Sounds like January is the best month..followed by December and then February. Would that be correct?

Stanley, Falkland...
8. Re: Falklands, S Georgia and Peninsula

"my question is whether November or February would be better"

Where does January or December come into it? :-)

Bozeman, Montana
9. Re: Falklands, S Georgia and Peninsula

My travel partner isn't too keen on December but may be talked into it and january tours seem to be pretty well booked :{ I have asked a travel agent to check out everything open in December and January... so hopefully....

Stanley, Falkland...
10. Re: Falklands, S Georgia and Peninsula

I think you are over-planning. During those months, you will see lots.

You say you want to see penguins. They will be there, November - February: King, Gentoo, Rockhopper and Magellanic.

I would choose a cruise that will allow you to see as many species as possible, although Rockhoppers are usually the most popular. Kings you will see by the thousands in South Georgia, too. And then there are other species of penguin in Antarctica - Adelie, Chinstrap, etc.

Reply to: Falklands, S Georgia and Peninsula
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted