We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cruising antarctica on celebrity infinity february 2014

TORONTO
reviews: 3
cruising antarctica on celebrity infinity february 2014

we are planning a cruise on celebrity infinity from south america early next year. we have two choices, one that goes round the tip and ends/starts buenos aires /santiago...or one that is from buenos aires and goes to antarctica.

i am trying to get info about which would be the better choice. it seems like the antarctica one is a lot of cruising and scenery, but is it all the same kind of scenery. the other cruise stops at far more ports.

this will be a once in a lifetime experience and all comments and advice would be greatly appreciated. we live in toronto, canada.

i need help with weather, excursions, in fact anything that anybody can tell me would be great.

52 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 29
1. Re: cruising antarctica on celebrity infinity february 2014

Hi

The majority of posters here do the smaller expedition ships rather than the drive by liners. I don't recollect linking any trip reports for the big ships.

If you visit the Cruise Critic forum - scroll down to Ports of Call and you will see they have an Antarctica forum there. Lot more past passengers on that forum who have done the big liners who can hopefully help you out.

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 54
2. Re: cruising antarctica on celebrity infinity february 2014

Hi,

I agree with perfectly perth. Funnily enough I saw a lot of passengers from the Infinity in Stanley last week. They did not have good weather, but passengers here yesterday had a superb day. So it is a lottery.

I think you could probably do a bit of research on the scenery. It is Antarctican - lots of mountains, glaciers, icebergs etc. Don't expect a lot of trees.....

Whether you will like it or not is up to you. If you like ports, why not choose that cruise? It won't be the same as the Antarctica cruise.

Or why not try an Alaskan cruise first and see if you enjoy mountains, glaciers, etc?

TORONTO
3. Re: cruising antarctica on celebrity infinity february 2014

thanks for your advice....looking at the general comments, i felt i was in the wrong place......thanks, susan

Manchester, United...
4. Re: cruising antarctica on celebrity infinity february 2014

We have just returned from Celebrity Infinity Antarctica cruise 17/2/2013-3/3/2013. We had the holiday of a lifetime. Yes there are a lots of days at sea, but most of those we spent on deck, watching whales, seals, icebergs,glaciers, penguins, albertross and more. It was magical! The speakers on the Beyond the Podium series were brilliant. We were fortunate with the weather, particularly around Cape Horn.

I would not recommend this cruise if you like shopping or historic sites, you really need to be a nature lover to get the most from it.

I cannot imagine another cruise with such a Wow! factor. It was amazing from

start to finish.

TORONTO
5. Re: cruising antarctica on celebrity infinity february 2014

thank you so much for your response.....how did you find the weather? did you do the santiago to buenos aires trip or the reverse. and did you do any special excursions.

was the service good....we have travelled celebrity a few times but the infinity is an older ship and i read someones comment saying the food wasnt great, and generally not up to celebrity standards. any info that you think might be helpful would be greatly appreciated.

regards

susan

Manchester, United...
6. Re: cruising antarctica on celebrity infinity february 2014

Hi Susan,

Our Antarctica, Celebrity Infinity cruise began and finished in Buenos Aires. Our ports of call were|Ushuaia Argentina, Port Stanley Falkland Islands, Puerto Madryn Argentina, Monivideo Uruguay. Also we cruised the Antarctica Peninsula for three days and had 3 night pre cruise in Buenos Aires. We took a few excursions. I can recommend The Beagle Chanel boat trip in Ushuaia, The trips to Peninsula del Valdes from Purto Madryn were excellent. We also took the Beunos Aires Tour with lunch at an estancia, it included a dance show and a horse show with airport drop off at the end of the cruise which was fantastic and really good value.

The service on board was excellent. I believe Infinity had a major refit a couple of years ago and looks as good as new, not at all shabby. The food, was good. We dined in the Trellis each evening, good choice and good service. Regards Ann

Horsham, Australia
reviews: 1
7. Re: cruising antarctica on celebrity infinity february 2014

May I make the suggestion that the big cruise ships that you are interested in are ok if you like just being on deck and looking at the Antarctic but if you what to actually get on the land amonst the wild life such as penguins, seals etc then you are far better going on one of the small ship cruises that include zodiac landings such as the luxury small ships L'Austral, Boreal and others of this kind. I met with some big liner passengers on the way back to Australia and they were quite disappointed with their experience c/f to what I had done. Remember, you only get to land at ports on the big liners and not land on Antarctica at all.

Cheers

Orange, California
reviews: 13
8. Re: cruising antarctica on celebrity infinity february 2014

What is the best side of the ship to be on?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 29
9. Re: cruising antarctica on celebrity infinity february 2014

The outside !

Michigan
reviews: 18
10. Re: cruising antarctica on celebrity infinity february 2014

POSH: Port Out, Starboard Home.

Please don't make a wake for those in dinghies.

Reply to: cruising antarctica on celebrity infinity february 2014
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted