We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akademik Sergey Vavilov by One Ocean Expeditions

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 8
Akademik Sergey Vavilov by One Ocean Expeditions

Has anybody travelled by One Ocean Voyager/Akademik Sergey Vavilov, operated by One Ocean Expeditions. If so, can you please share your experience regarding the journey?

As per my research, it seems that Akademik Sergey Vavilov was previously being operated by Quark and now One Ocean Voyager is handling this ship.

I am toying between MV Ushuaia (Antarpply) and Akademik Sergey Vavilov (One Ocean Expeditions). There are reviews & reports about the former, but I can't seem to find any for Vavilov (operated by OOE).

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Sasha

17 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 29
1. Re: Akademik Sergey Vavilov by One Ocean Expeditions

My friends worked several polar seasons North and South on the Vav while it was with Quark and speak very fondly of the ship itself. If you do a keyword search here and on Cruise Critic you will find reviews by past voyagers.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 5
2. Re: Akademik Sergey Vavilov by One Ocean Expeditions

I have just completed a trip on the Vavilov to the Falklands, South Georgia and Antarctica. I could not recommend a better cruise, a conclusion drawn by all the passengers on our trip. The facilities are great given the expedition nature of the trip and the leader and staff made it both educational and fun given their passion and knowledge of the areas.

I am just traveling home now and already thinking of doing it again on the same vessel and company.

Edited: 2:27 pm, February 26, 2013
Walla Walla...
reviews: 18
3. Re: Akademik Sergey Vavilov by One Ocean Expeditions

I was on the same expedition as Polar2013---and I completely agree. I highly recommend a trip on Vavilov... and if you could only have the same expedition leader and staff we did..

Australia
4. Re: Akademik Sergey Vavilov by One Ocean Expeditions

Amazing experience!!! Just did it before Xmas. Am currently about to board a plane at Singapore airport but would be happy to answer any questions when I land in Perth :-)

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 19
5. Re: Akademik Sergey Vavilov by One Ocean Expeditions

My husband and I took an awesome 18-day trip aboard the Akademik Sergey Vavilov late last November, looks like the same route as Polar 2013. We had high expectations and were not disappointed, a fabulous, unforgettable trip. The very courteous and accommodating staff made all the difference.On our way to Ushuaia to board the ship, there was an Argentinian general strike that threw a wrench into the travel plans of many passengers, and as a result several didn't make it in time for the ship's planned departure. What to do? Well, we waited in port for an extra day for the stragglers, late through no fault of their own. That was a really classy thing OOE did, and almost all passengers were happy to wait. OOE treated us to a tour of the Beagle Channel while waiting. Once at sea, it was a great adventure. The food was really good too - although it was an 18-day trip, the chef managed to keep an excellent variety of nice, fresh food. There were many shore expeditions to see penguins, seals, albatross, a whaling station, Ernest Shackleton's grave, the majestic beauty of the Antarctic. Although we saw no whales (the whalers were too efficient, I guess) we did see dolphins riding alongside the ship. There was significant focus on safety, so we were well taken care of. Staff were knowledgeable and varied: bird experts, photographers, historians, all available at any time to answer questions and tell stories. I highly recommend this amazing trip!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
6. Re: Akademik Sergey Vavilov by One Ocean Expeditions

Nice report and very nice that they waited for the people affected by late flights.

<<<<<< Although we saw no whales (the whalers were too efficient, I guess>>>>>>

Sorry but that is a pretty silly statement. More likely the spotters on your bridge were inefficient. We averaged 20 or more whales a day of 5 different breeds - on both of my 30 day voyages.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 19
7. Re: Akademik Sergey Vavilov by One Ocean Expeditions

Lucky you! It may have just been the time of year we went, not sure. God knows they spotted plenty of light mantled sooty albatross. At any rate, my statement was with tongue planted firmly in cheek!! ;-)

Helsinki, Finland
8. Re: Akademik Sergey Vavilov by One Ocean Expeditions

Hi! We are about to book the same trip soon for 2014 but are struggling to ensure we have sufficient insurance in place. Those outside of US, which one did you get to cover the trip cost and do you know how well the One Ocean and Polar Pioneer are insured and under what type of package trip terms they operate? What are the risks of not getting back the money paid in advance (the 50% rule)?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
9. Re: Akademik Sergey Vavilov by One Ocean Expeditions

Generally you purchase your travel insurance from within your own country so you would be better off asking on the Finland forums for recommendations from people there as to who they have booked with previously.

10. Re: Akademik Sergey Vavilov by One Ocean Expeditions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:44 pm, October 19, 2013

Reply to: Akademik Sergey Vavilov by One Ocean Expeditions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions