We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2014 Feb Quark/Peregrine - crossing the circle

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
10,686 posts
30 reviews
2014 Feb Quark/Peregrine - crossing the circle

Thought I would start a traditional roll call now that we have 3 members here counting down to this trip. Who knows who else may join us here in the months to come !

This will be my 3rd trip to Amtarctica with Peregrine/Quark so am happy to help fellow passengers with trip plans and packing lists.

And important question of the day - now that the deposits are paid - have you done your insurance ? I do mine the second the deposit is paid. I use covermore as they have the appropriate repatriation coverage for polar journeys and potential ocean rescues etc.

San Francisco...
7 posts
61. Re: 2014 Feb Quark/Peregrine - crossing the circle

I've booked an overnight in BA for each way, in case I get delayed. Of course now I've done that everything will go to plan :) This way I get into EZE, go into town for the day/night then carry on to AEP from there. Traffic in BA can be epic-- I was there last year trying to catch a ferry to Uruguay and ended up ridiculously late as I'd totally underestimated it.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
10,686 posts
30 reviews
62. Re: 2014 Feb Quark/Peregrine - crossing the circle

Leave yourself a minimum 4 hours for the exiting of EZE and transfer to AEP.

I usually have Quark/Peregrine book a private transfer for me. Saves not knowing Spanish and risking a dodgy taxi.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
131 reviews
63. Re: 2014 Feb Quark/Peregrine - crossing the circle

I was due to fly out of AEP in the morning after an overnight in Buenos Aires, but Aerolineas Argentina put me in a cab to EZE to catch a different flight because mine was significantly delayed (hadn't even left the other city the plane was in). The cab drivers are sketchy - so book a transfer ahead of time! Ours tried to extort us even though we saw Aerolineas pay for the cab themselves. As it were he dropped us off at the wrong terminal and we had to run to catch our flight. Not pleasant. Oh and it ended up not being a non-stop direct flight to Ushuaia as promised - it stopped in El Calafate.

On the way home I was supposed to fly through EZE, but our Aerolineas flight had been rescheduled to a later time (while we were in Antarctica!) to the point that we would miss our international transfers so I caught the first flight available out of Ushuaia to AEP. We ended up buying tickets for the Manuel Tienda Leon - which is a bus - and it was perfectly fine, but took several hours. My advice is to have a plan before you get there because, but be as flexible as possible if you are flying Aerolineas Argentina!

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
27 reviews
64. Re: 2014 Feb Quark/Peregrine - crossing the circle

A good reason to select a fully-packaged tour including ground transfers and Ushuaia flights?

Boston...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
131 reviews
65. Re: 2014 Feb Quark/Peregrine - crossing the circle

I tried to do that! Haha. I was never supposed to have to do the airport transfer in one day, and I had to do it twice! I did purchase my cruise, flights, and the ground transfers I was supposed to do as part of a complete package, but Aerolineas Argentina had other ideas :)

Stuttgart, Germany
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
66. Re: 2014 Feb Quark/Peregrine - crossing the circle

HI!!! Just booked my trip and I'm SOOO EXCITED!!! I wanted to go somewhere awesome for my birthday and figured, well-- you only live once. Crossing the Antarctic Circle seems like an AWESOME way to spend a birthday!!! This thread has been an AMAZING source of info so far, thank you so much for putting it together :)

I'm booked on the 16 Feb - 02 Mar voyage aboard the "Sea Spirit". Anyone else going on the same trip???

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
10,686 posts
30 reviews
67. Re: 2014 Feb Quark/Peregrine - crossing the circle

Hi Liz - you may want to start a new thread for a roll call for that specific trip as this thread if for the Feb 2 Sea Adventurer one.

Enjoying the exciting buildup !!

Coffs Harbour...
1 post
68. Re: 2014 Feb Quark/Peregrine - crossing the circle

Hi

We are booked on this voyage as well and have a few questions for the more experienced travellers.

We are to fly to Iguazu (via Buenos Aires) after the cruise but Aerolineus Argentinas have cancelled our 12:25 flight and put us on a later indirect flight that arrives in BA's other airport so we cannot make the connection to Iguazu. They then booked us on a next morning flight from BA to Iguazu. There is a 9:45 AM flight from Ushuaia that will work for us.....so our question is, will we be able to make the 9:45 flight? We have read trip reports that say the boats dock the night before...one said that people went ashore to party on the last night. Quark says they have breakfast in port in their descriptions. Will there be problems with immigration/customs etc with an early departure? We have enquired with Aust agents and they say, of course, that you should leave it until later. You can't blame them, they don't want to be sued for missed flights. We have expensive (Sheraton) accommodation booked in Iguazu and would waste a night as well as having to find a room in BA

Our other question is more down to earth regarding the drill for zodiac excursions. We know the ship has a "mud room" for departing & returning to shore. When we return with muddy, smelly boots we will probably also have muddy, smelly waterproof pants from sitting in mud/penguin poo. can you leave these in the mud room and are you able to wash them off? You probably would not want them back in the cabin with you. Is there a locker or shelf or something to leave your shipboard shoes etc on?

Thanks for all the info on packing etc. We are going via a 10 day family visit in the middle East and afterwards to Rio for Carnival and to Santiago then Easter Island before retuning across the Pacific so we will be packing tropical as well as thermal.

Looking forward to meeting up with everybody on board in Feb.

Boston...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
131 reviews
69. Re: 2014 Feb Quark/Peregrine - crossing the circle

If Aerolineas Argentina has cancelled your flight, they are obligated to put you on another or I believe issue a refund if what they offer is not sufficient if all flights are on one ticket. You might try the Air Travel forum on that one. It sounds like you have it all on one ticket, but you might be best to call Quark on that one. I doubt they will guarantee that you make that flight. You might be stuck on this one. What is the Sheraton cancellation policy for your rate? You might be able to dodge that bullet if its refundable. You'd just need to book a night in BA if necessary.

Can't speak to Quark, but the MS Expedition was in dock for dinner the night before, no one but the crew were permitted to leave arrival night. There was an early morning transfer for one group to make their travel arrangements, but was planned well in advance. Those of us scrambling for our delayed flight (which made us miss our connections home) had to leave as originally planned. Got off the bus and hailed a taxi to the airport to sort it all out.

Again, can't speak for Quark, but our mud room was whatever you needed. My outer pants didn't see my cabin until departure day. Boots and anything that needed to dry could be left at your bench spot. There were hooks and such to dry anything.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
10,686 posts
30 reviews
70. Re: 2014 Feb Quark/Peregrine - crossing the circle

Can't help re the flights but the general recommendation is not to book flights that depart before noon.

No one can predict the arrival times of the ships as it's 100% reliant on the sea conditions and then the jetty docking times.

I know of two ships that arrived the night before but as the jetty was full they had to anchor about an hour down the channel for the night.

On my previous trips we have docked pretty much according to schedule around breakfast time.

For your own peace of mind I would be checking other available flights that day and see what can be altered.

Re your penguin poop covered clothing. Quark practice extremely strict bioeco routines before and after every single landing and you will be signing documents to say you too will be adhering to those practices - particularly at Sth Georgia.

In the first couple of days of the voyage all clothing and backpacks etc will be vacuumed thoroughly to ensure no seeds are present. All boots and camera tripods etc will be scrubbed in zircon.

Before and after each landing you will again scrub them in zircon. If you sat on the ground you will also scrub your pants.

Everything dries extremely fast due to the dry air on board so even if you are doing two landings a day the gear dries out in between.

Our stuff hung on the hooks in our cabins on both of my trips and the boots underneath. Utterly no poop stench to be found because everything is spotless. If it isn't - you have failed in the scrubbing task and are risking the ecology balance at the next landing location.

Good luck with sorting out the flights side of things.