We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2014 Feb Quark/Peregrine - crossing the circle

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 30
2014 Feb Quark/Peregrine - crossing the circle

Thought I would start a traditional roll call now that we have 3 members here counting down to this trip. Who knows who else may join us here in the months to come !

This will be my 3rd trip to Amtarctica with Peregrine/Quark so am happy to help fellow passengers with trip plans and packing lists.

And important question of the day - now that the deposits are paid - have you done your insurance ? I do mine the second the deposit is paid. I use covermore as they have the appropriate repatriation coverage for polar journeys and potential ocean rescues etc.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 21
1. Re: 2014 Feb Quark/Peregrine - crossing the circle

Is it true? - 3rd trip to Antractica but still haven't organised photos from the first. ;-)

Perth, Australia
2. Re: 2014 Feb Quark/Peregrine - crossing the circle

Great idea to have the roll call, PP. Makes it feel real even though it's still so long to go.

Re insurance... We usually use HBF (our medical fund for those not familiar). When I checked online I note that they do not insure further than 12 months out from a trip date.

So... I haven't progressed any further. I figure in the meantime our deposits are covered because they were paid for on platinum credit card which carries its own travel insurance. However we obviously intend to take out appropriate comprehensive insurance so will check out covermore also.

There's a peregrine information evening coming up so may see what they suggest.

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 57
3. Re: 2014 Feb Quark/Peregrine - crossing the circle

"haven't organised photos from the first."

Hmm. Guilty! Life's too short. You can organise the photos when you are in a home.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
4. Re: 2014 Feb Quark/Peregrine - crossing the circle

Lol very guilty !!!!!

And I got distracted with an across country relocation 2 months ago so it's months since I even got to see my photos. But I swear I will get them sorted and online soon !!!

Cam yes go to the slide night at Hay at Peregrine. They are always fun and you can ask Peter for info on the insurance coys he recommends for these kinds of trips.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
5. Re: 2014 Feb Quark/Peregrine - crossing the circle

Cam - some info for you as you are in Perth.

Check Wellington Surplus on Wellington St in town for all your gear. They sell the same brands as the big adventure stores like katmandu, anaconda, mountain designs and Paddys but considerably cheaper. So check the websites for all and do a good comparison.

Perth, Australia
6. Re: 2014 Feb Quark/Peregrine - crossing the circle

PP, I know it well!

Have used them previously and am always amazed at just how much stuff is in this store. It just goes on and on... My last purchase there was a great Pacsafe travel bag, cheaper than elsewhere.

Thanks for the heads-up though :)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
7. Re: 2014 Feb Quark/Peregrine - crossing the circle

Excellent. I got my outer pants and long johns etc from the US as I was having problems finding any in Aus to suit plus size.

But the rest of my gear - ski goggles, buffs, neck gaiter, silk liner gloves, ski gloves, liner socks and main socks, all came from Wellington.

You will only need a single fleece jacket for Ushuaia and then once on board you get your quark parka which has a removable navy blue fleece jacket inside it.

Cargoes and trackies are good for just round the ship. Easy pull on style shoes with good tread are good for in the ship and racing out onto icey slippery decks for photo ops are good too. I have used my trusty old Mary Jane style Keens on both trips and will no doubt take them along again for the next one.

The cabins can be over warm so summer Jammie's are better than wintery ones.

Perth, Australia
8. Re: 2014 Feb Quark/Peregrine - crossing the circle

Thanks for that very useful info, PP. Guess everyone is concerned about what to pack and what to leave behind, so its good to hear from someone who's been there and done that.

I believe there is an information pack being mailed to us with packing lists etc, so will wait and see what that contains.

We have plenty of time to sort out our clothing needs. Will certainly keep a look out for sales as well! Will also be in Melbourne over the next few months so can check the shopping out there also...

Have you been to Bariloche lakes area?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
9. Re: 2014 Feb Quark/Peregrine - crossing the circle

The info pack that comes to you from peregrine was last updated in the mid 90s - it still talks about packing camera film!!

If you plan to use the ships laundry service (as I always do) then you really just need:

2 or 3 long johns

2 or 3 base layer tops

1 pair trackies

1 pair pants ie jeans or cargoes or similar

1 polar fleece jacket (I also found a fleece vest handy as I didn't like all the extra sleeves under the parka).

1 beanie (type with straps to tie under throat)

1 neck gaiter (scarves can get caught by the wind and blow overboard).

1x silk or merino liner gloves

1x ski gloves

1x water/wind proof over pants

1x good treaded shoes for the outer decks.

2 or 3 pairs good thick merino hiking socks.

Good polarised sunnies or ski goggles. (I take both as googles can be a godsend in harsh winds. Make sure sunnies have a strap).

Quark supply the parka with zip out fleece jacket, and the muckboots.

Useful things:

# Powerstrip - for charging multiple things at once. I just replaced my usual 4 point strip with a new one with 2 points and 2 USB points from a website called global travel products.

# Ziplock bags - lunch size and next size up. Useful for everything !

# sunscreen - apply at least twice a day.

# Vicks vapor rub - useful to ward off the penguin poop aroma until you are use to it.

(my tip for both of the above - a contact lens container can hold ample supply of both and takes up no room in your camera bag).

# compression bags - available in all the camping stores. Great for sucking down the winter woolies to a nice thin layer. I also used one to suck my favourite pillow down to 1cm as a month without it was unbearable - noticed many other regular passengers arrived with their own pillows too.

# depending on what type of camera you have - extra batteries ! The cold can make them run down fast do it's handy to have a spare set when on shore landings. I made little polar fleece pouches for mine to keep them warm.

# little point and shoot waterproof camera. Sometimes the most exciting things happen in the zodiacs when all your gear is packed away in the waterproof bags. I kept a little waterproof one on a caribeener clipped to my parka zipper.

# there is bound to be some kind of hat or dress up party. Find something silly that weighs nothing and takes up no room "just in case".

# water bottle you can easily drink from without needing to undo its top etc.

I will find out from my expedition team friends whether this ship supplies shower gel etc before we get closer to packing. The KK I went on previously supplied a shower gel shampoo and a bar of soap per passenger (different colours so room mates didnt mix them up). little things like that mean less to pack.

I also take a spare camera as a "just in case" and while I haven't needed it on either trip - I did end up loaning it to a woman who's camera packed it in on day 2. I also take lots of extra sd cards and thumb drives for swapping photos with other passengers.

I take a small netbook and an external 360gig hard drive and down load my photos daily to both units before deleting from the cards.

If I think of any other packing tips I have learned from the last two trips I will let you know. I have learned each time ! Took too much the first time, halved it the second time ! Still think I could take less again - the laundry service is good and fast !

Haven't heard of the lakes you mentioned - are they in Ushuaia ?

Perth, Australia
10. Re: 2014 Feb Quark/Peregrine - crossing the circle

Wow, what an amazing list. Thanks for that, and great to keep as a resource. Some of the items you've mentioned I already have on my own list. Have been to Alaska so know how cold weather can really drain those batteries. But you've listed several items that I haven't considered so that's great.

I have a small 'underwater' camera that will suffice for those Zodiac moments!

Bariloche is in Argentina. From what I gather it is sort of a gateway to some very scenic lakes and the Nahuel Haapi National Park. We are considering a couple of days there on our way south from Santiago to Ushuaia. More research required - and plenty of time to do so....