We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The countdown thread !!!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 30
The countdown thread !!!

It seems a few of us are counting down at the moment - so share here!!

How long to go.

Which ship and company.

Which route.

Past traveller or first timer.

413 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
1. Re: The countdown thread !!!

Me first !

4 weeks to go.

Sailing on Kapitan Khlebnikov with Peregrine/Quark. (KKs final ever voyage).

30 days sailing from Hobart, Tasmania down to east Antarctica ending in Fremantle, Western Australia.

Past traveller. On this exact day last year I was flying to Sth America to join the KK for a month in the Weddell Sea.

Australia
reviews: 17
2. Re: The countdown thread !!!

Let's see...

* 12 days (9 till I fly)

* Going on the Vavilov with Quark Expeditions

* Just down to the Antarctic Peninsula and back, couldn't get more time off work to do the South Georgia itinerary. This is better than nothing though!

* First timer to Antarctica, but it's continent 7 for me!

Atlanta
reviews: 13
3. Re: The countdown thread !!!

17 days

Going on the MS Expedition. I wish I could go on a longer trip, but I can't take the time off of work.

This is the first trip to Antarctica. It will be my daughter's 7th continent (6 continents for me)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
4. Re: The countdown thread !!!

Fantastic. Jealous that you are both leaving before me !!

Hope you have some time in Ushuaia too. I have been all over the world and have never landed anywhere quite so picture postcard perfect. I recommend a helicopter tour there.

Australia
reviews: 17
5. Re: The countdown thread !!!

No time in Ushuaia for me (arrive afternoon, boat leaves following afternoon), so half a day or so for a bit of sightseeing. But I've spent a fair bit of time in Patagonia before, so I'm not especially fussed about it.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
6. Re: The countdown thread !!!

Ahhh ok - thats ample time to go and sit in Cafe Laguna Negra and sample the worlds best Lemon Merangue Pie, their Hot Chocolate, and their yummy chocolates !!!!!!

They are one block up from the Albatross Hotel.

NSW
reviews: 9
7. Re: The countdown thread !!!

How long to go? Board MS Expedition on November 19th. Depart home to begin our journey on November 11th.

Which ship and company. MS Expedition - booked via Chiumu Adventures

Which route. Antarctica Classic in Depth Cruise

Past traveller or first timer - first timer to Antarctica. Trip to be amrked off our bucket list.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
8. Re: The countdown thread !!!

Not long at all !!

Have a brilliant time and I hope all of you will report back with trip reports afterwards as future travellers will benefit from them.

I will also male myself do last years ! I am still sorting photos 12 months later !

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 73
9. Re: The countdown thread !!!

It will be a little more than a month for me. Will join the ship on Dec 22 but leave home on the 16th for a stopover in Paris before flying to BA.

Will sail on the Silver Explorer with Silversea.

Only a 12 days round trip Ushuaia and no South Georgia for my itinerary either. This is already a long vacation with the stopping in Paris and BA, I must get back to work too. But I get to celebrate X'mas and New Year with the penguins.

First timer and this trip will also complete my visit to all 7 continents. Yeah!

Auckland
reviews: 12
10. Re: The countdown thread !!!

My partner and I are off on the Plancius to Sth Georgia in 3 weeks time. He's going to Ski trek the Shackleton Crossing for 3 days before we meet up again on the other side of the Island. Is anyone else going on this trip? We are having 3 nights in Santiago before the flight to the falklands - maybe we could meet up beforehand?

Reply to: The countdown thread !!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted