We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medication

Medication

Hi im travelling to turkey, sarigerme. My son has elvanse, a controlled tab for adhd. Can i take this on holiday

6 replies to this topic
Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
1. Re: Medication

Check the rules for what you can take into Turkey, but generally so long as you have a copy of his prescription you will be OK

Kent, United Kingdom
reviews: 29
2. Re: Medication

Johb121 gives good advice. I am reasonably sure that there are no restrictions on taking prescribed meds into Turkey, but a quick Google search on the name of the medicine and " Turkey" hasn't brought up anything adverse. I am assuming you are travelling from the UK?

I would recommend, as I do to anyone travelling with fairly essential meds, that you carry them in your hand ( carry on) luggage and not pack them in luggage to go into the aircraft hold. In the hopefully unlikely event that hold luggage gets delayed or goes astray, the last thing you want to do is find a Doctor in Turkey to give you a script for fresh supplies.

Also, maybe a good idea to talk to your son's GP,to see if they recommend any slight change in dosage to assist with with possible changes in condition that air travel might bring about. Some youngsters with ADHD cope very well with a change in their surroundings and environment, a few do not. Best to check just in case .

I hope you have a wonderful trip and that all goes well for you.

Kind regards

Mondial.

3. Re: Medication

Thanku Mondial :)))

Kent, United Kingdom
reviews: 29
4. Re: Medication

You are very welcome. Please let us know how it all works out for you.

Children with special needs and particular challenges ( and their parents) need a bit of encouragement and support from time to time.

Better to be looking up and seeing blue skies occasionally than to be looking down all the time and seeing only problems and darkness when you already have quite enough on your plate !

I have been criticised for being too optimistic and sprinkling " fairy dust" in the past, but I just believe in offering what I hope might be taken as well intentioned advice and a measure of encouragement. Advice can be taken or disregarded of course, but I think a bit of positive encouragement can be beneficial.

My very best regards once again.

Mondial

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 201
5. Re: Medication

I do not see any reason why you would not be able to take your son's ADHD medication with you to Turkey. This medication is a stimulant, and could be abused in the hands of people who are looking for a quick high. I would keep the medication in the jar in which it was dispensed. I think I would also take a letter from my doctor stating for whom the drug is prescribed, the dosage and frequency of use.

I have entered and left Turkey many times, and no one has ever exhibited even a remote interest in wha I am bringing with me into the country. No one has looked in my purse or other carry-on bags. No one has asked what i have. I really do not believe they are interested. Something unusual would have to happen before officials even became aware that you had this medication.

I would not worry about taking this medication with me to Turkey.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
6. Re: Medication

Busy-retired is absolutely right. I;d fprgotten but recall now reading that you should always take medication in its original packaging and preferably with the product infomration leaflet. Also a copy of the prescription and maybe a doctor's letter.

I take so many meds I do it automatically, so I can keep track of what I need to take, and when!

Edited: 4:48 am, September 21, 2013
Reply to: Medication
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted