We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can a Australia Disability Parking Permit be used in Italy

Sydney, New South...
reviews: 2
Can a Australia Disability Parking Permit be used in Italy

My wife and I are going to Hire a car and drive from Venice to Verona,Milan,Lake Como and want to know if we can use my wife's disability parking permit issued in Australia for driving in Italy. My wife is disabled.

7 replies to this topic
Kent, United Kingdom
reviews: 29
1. Re: Can a Australia Disability Parking Permit be used in Italy

I very much doubt it, because I believe that parking privileges for less able people are issued by local authorities ( town councils etc) in Italy, but there are better informed people on this forum who may be able to help.

I hope it works out for you, and that you have a wonderful time.

Kind regards

Mondial

Eastleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
reviews: 93
2. Re: Can a Australia Disability Parking Permit be used in Italy

See the Top questions for this forum for the FIA disabled travellers guide http://www.fiadisabledtravellers.com

Australia is one of the countries that have signed up to grant reciprocity with the EU and others

fiadisabledtravellers.com/en/…

So in theory an Australian badge should be accepted in Italy but it is up to the local authority as to whether they actually do fiadisabledtravellers.com/en/…italy.htm

Sydney, New South...
3. Re: Can a Australia Disability Parking Permit be used in Italy

Thank you for the information, it has been helpfull indeed. I hope driving in Italy works out OK as I can't see any other easy way of getting around with a motorised scooter and wheelchair. The ZTL system is a bit of a concern and not at all flexible, so have got to work around it.

Eastleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
reviews: 93
4. Re: Can a Australia Disability Parking Permit be used in Italy

I have never attempted to visit Florence, you would be best to ask questions about accessibility on the TA Florence forum. tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g187893-i67-Tusc…

I did find an article visitflorence.com/moving-around-florence/phy… about access in Florence which includes an email address for Florence parking permits. It would be worth asking them about use of Australian permits both inside and outside the ZTL area - an email saying it is OK would be useful backup if you come across an obstinate traffic warden.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 206
5. Re: Can a Australia Disability Parking Permit be used in Italy

I can tell you that my US Disabled Parking Permit was not recognized by the police in Florence. In fact, you have to be very careful just driving in Italy. There are some streets that only cars with appropriate identification can travel on. We did not know that some streets were forbidden until we got large fines mailed to our home months after we returned to the US. Amazingly, our hotel was located on a street where we were not supposed to travel without a resident permit. We got a ticket for the disabled parking permit and a huge ticket for driving in a forbidden zone.

The car was very helpful in Italy, and it would have been much more difficult without it, but the traffic laws are very difficult, and I am not sure I would rent another car there, particularly in Florence.

Sydney, New South...
6. Re: Can a Australia Disability Parking Permit be used in Italy

Thanks for the info. I have done a lot of searching and reading on the internet and got an application on my smartphone that highlights all the ZTL zones in Italy. Not going to Florence, travelling from Venice to Milan via the countryside. have found all the parking areas outside the ZTL zones. Very complex system in Italy, but travelling with a disabled person and chairs by car rather than any other transport appears the best way to get around.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 206
7. Re: Can a Australia Disability Parking Permit be used in Italy

We did not have a bad experience with the train. You just have to make advanced reservations. They have a separate car for people who use mobility scooters or wheelchairs. Generally, although, it is easier to get closer to the things you want to see with a car, the street system was impossible. We paid more money in parking/driving fines than we did for an plane ticket to Rome. I really felt that the whole system is a scam. No one at the rental car facility warned us, and neither did anyone in our hotel. The people in our hotel knew we had a car, and they obviously knew the street they were on was a forbidden street, but they instructed us to drive on it anyway.

Reply to: Can a Australia Disability Parking Permit be used in Italy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted