We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with crutches

Glenrothes, United...
Traveling with crutches

I hope you can help me, I am flying to Germany with Ryanair in a few weeks and I require crutches to get around. Do I need to tell the airline that I use crutches at all times and will I be able to take them onboard with me? Also will I have a problem with security?

Thanks x

3 replies to this topic
Essex
reviews: 71
1. Re: Traveling with crutches

Cripes!

I cannot imagine that ANY airline would deny you taking them, if you NEED them...

But yes, guess they could also be a useful weapon if necessary!

Guess it is wise to carry a Doctors Letter that confims that you need them and why...

Guess that, with the particularly "difficult" Ryanair, then confirming direct with them well in advance, is a good idea. If they say yes, get them to confirm in writing, print off any e-mails....

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
2. Re: Traveling with crutches

Book assistance - check in then go to the desk and they'll buggy you or w/chair you -- but the important thing is that you book it through Ryanair, thus putting them on notice that you'll have crutches.

England
reviews: 29
3. Re: Traveling with crutches

Dear Angela,

I agree with all the advice already given. Inform Ryanair ASAP and book WCH assistance at both ends of your trip.

For a number of years I had to use a walking stick, although in most other ADL ( activities of daily living) I was OK.

I was usually required to put my stick through the x-ray machine in UK airports although, oddly enough, never at foreign airports on the way home!

Don't be afraid to ask for all the help you need. I hope you have a good trip, good health, and wonderful memories to bring home with you.

Kind regards

Mondial.

Reply to: Traveling with crutches
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted