We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobility scooter in France

Inverness
reviews: 71
Mobility scooter in France

My husband uses two mobility scooters , a Travelscoot 3 wheeler for towns and a road taxed and insured four wheeler (Colt Pride) for longer expeditions/ steep hills and country walks. We are going to France . Does any know if there are any peculiar rules about using them in towns or on/off roads etc? We were surprised that we did not see any one else on mobility scooters when we were in Berlin recently and just wondered if there are restrictions on their use in Europe.

15 replies to this topic
London, England
reviews: 59
1. Re: Mobility scooter in France

No, I don't think there are any restrictions, but I'm sure somebody on TA will know. I suggest you put your question in the relevant forum to wherever it is you are going in France.

I normally find that there are plenty of Disabled parking spaces in France and people actually respect them.

Inverness
2. Re: Mobility scooter in France

Thanks will re post as suggested.

London, England
3. Re: Mobility scooter in France

cacaj

I just had a thought. Is your husband's scooter via Motability? If so, they will be answer any questions for you. Otherwise, it may be worthwhile contacting the AA or RAC.

Germantown, Maryland
reviews: 1
4. Re: Mobility scooter in France

We just returned from Paris. I used a Luggie mobility scooter all over the city. It worked well on sidewalks, back roads, etc. Most subway stations were not accessible, so that was generally not a good public transportation option with the Luggie (it weighs 50 pounds). However, I had read that the buses were all handicap accessible, but we did not try them. I also used it all over Italy without problems.

Inverness
5. Re: Mobility scooter in France

Thank you.

Derby, United...
6. Re: Mobility scooter in France

Is there any options to hire mobility scooters in south of france or do you need to take your own and how do you get the scooter over to france.. many thanks

London, England
7. Re: Mobility scooter in France

steve1

Airlines will carry your scooter FOC, but they do have a weight restriction. Sorry, I don't know what it is as I have only taken a lightweight one, but you will be able to find out on the airlines website. You have to advise the airline in advance. I always ask for assistance that I need at the time of booking.

I can't help you with scooter hire in the South of France, but I would put the question on the French Forum as somebody there will probably be able to give you the answer.

Austin, Texas
reviews: 70
8. Re: Mobility scooter in France

We have been traveling in Italy and Austria for almost three weeks with my husband's mobility scooter. Like you, we haven't seen many scooters, if any, but we have had no problem. Trenitalia has a wonderful service, Sala Blu, which assists people with all types of disabilities on and off trains. You must contact them at least 24 hours ahead of your departure and give them your itinerary, although I have herd you can give less notice. The departure station contacts all the other stations, and you are assisted off and on the train, usually eith a forklift type of equipment, and helped with your luggage.

As you can imagine, walking the cobblestone streets of Florence presented some challenges, with high drops from sidewalk to street level in many places, steps up to restaurants, etc. However, so many people want to help, and sometimes we have more help than was necessary. Both Uffizi and Academia galleries not only admit people with disabilities and one companion free, you also do not need reservations. Just go to the entrance, enter and get a free ticket, and enjoy. A great benefit!

Restaurants in Florence with very staff who were so helpful were Trattoria Casalinga and Borgo Antico, both at Piazza Santo Spirito.

Having been to Bellagio on Lake Como before my husband developed his disability, we loved the area and wanted to return. However, the streets of steep staircases would have presented more challenges than we wanted to face. We chose Menaggio across the lake. Our destination, and we fell in love with it. It has a much wider, more accessible area of level ground at the lake level. The piazza and promenade provided many hours of enjoyment, as did our accessible apartment in the same building as the Grand Hotel Menaggio.

Milano Malpensa Airport was wonderful in assisting us on and off planes. They have quite an impressive piece of equipment which takes you to and from the airplane if the plane is arriving or taking off without a jetway.

Austrian Airlines were very particular about the specifications of the mobility scooter, and it took a series of emails to get approval for flying with it.

The tram system in Vienna works efficiently and is very accessible. There are notice boards which flash tram numbers, estimated minutes until arrival, and a handicap accessible symbol. To be assisted on the tram, go to the first car, right behind the driver, and indicate to the driver you need help. The driver comes out, unfolds a ramp, and you board the tram. Push the button when you want to get off, and the driver unfolds the ramp for you to exit the tram. Only once did we have a problem, and that was when a driver insisted that because Jim wasn't in a wheelchair, he couldn't board the tram. He kept pointing to e wheelchair symbol and saying Jim's scooter wasn't a wheelchair.

We're going to Paris from here and will update from there.

London, England
9. Re: Mobility scooter in France

YolandaGolightly

Very useful information. Thank you for posting it all in detail.

Inverness
10. Re: Mobility scooter in France

Very helpful.have added Vienna to the wish list!

Reply to: Mobility scooter in France
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted