We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended Destinations

London, United...
Recommended Destinations

Hiya,

This may be a weird question to ask but I am hoping that some of you more experienced travellers will be able to help.

I have Ankylosing Spondylitis (joint stiffness and chronic pain) along with Pulmonary Sarcoidosis (breathing probs made worse by Asthma) that significantly reduce my mobility. My Fiance and I are looking for a warm, European, flat destination with disabled access (not in a wheelchair but may be on crutches) that's less than a 4 hr flight away.

We have spent ages looking around online but couldn't get the specific info we needed re facilities and the geography of the resorts or areas. We have recently had some poor experiences with high street travel agents so would really appreciate any advice.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
1. Re: Recommended Destinations

What else do you want at your destination? I ask because the suggestions will vary, depending on whether you want a promenade/beach holiday, or a exploring/city holiday. There are many resorts which are basically promenade and beach destinations, if that's what you're looking for, so it's a matter of choosing a hotel which offers access and is within an easy "commute" of the beach. On the other hand, if it museums, castles and shopping you'd like, then we'd need to know what is the ideal selection of "things to see/do" so we can try to make some suggestions.

Hotel websites, rather than travel agents, and local tourist info offices are getting better at providing access information - I'm in a wheelchair or can walk short distances on crutches, so access is key to our travels too!

Harrogate, United...
reviews: 2
2. Re: Recommended Destinations

look at disabled access holidays and enable holidays they both give information on a mobilty key system, which goes from 1 for the more mobile to 3 for the less mobile they also tell you about the facilities in each hotel that they use eg roll in showers, ramp access etc. and the area round about

London, United...
3. Re: Recommended Destinations

Hi John

We are in a similar situation, my fiancé can walk short distances and uses crutches for longer walks, but a slow paced 15 minute walk would be a considerable distance for her.

This holiday, we are looking for somewhere close to a beach with access to some shops / restaurants, but the main reason is to relax in the sun in the hope that it will relieve some of the joint pain, so limited moving about is ideal. We are not too fussed about seeing things this time round, just a nice relaxing beach holiday. One thing I'm concerned about is access to a beach as some are in hilly area and others are accessed via coves or steps. We really are not fussy about where we go, just somewhere near a beach or with a balcony / terrace that we could comfortably stay in, if my fiancė didn't feel up to going out and about.

Thanks for the tip civic, I'll check them out.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
4. Re: Recommended Destinations

Seems you need to check out some "walk on" beach resorts, Red. In the last few years we've been to the south of France, Japan and India so I'm not really current on those destinations, but for sure we saw a beautiful little resort on the Med coast with old fashioned hotels with terraces looking over the street onto the promenade, and the beach 4 or 5 steps down. That was one place we'd like to return to, but not sure we will (now that we've moved from London to Poland!). I think you need to check out some google images and brochure pics, plus the sites civic suggested. Clrearly you need a combination of a beach you can easily get onto and a probably beach-side hotel big enough and modern enough to have the access facilities your finacee needs. From past experience, I know some Spanish resorts mght be OK (Estepona was one, with a long prom) but others had, for example, steos down to a tunnel under the railway line, so not suitable. You probably need to keep away from the smaller resorts, as it's the bigger places that are on a long beach and have a prom. It's lovely to relax and swim in a semi-private cove, but hardly good on access.

Teesside
reviews: 1
5. Re: Recommended Destinations

Hi Red, check out playa del las americas on Tenerife on google maps.It has a long promenade and a beach that has facilities for people in wheelchairs so this would be good for you.I know its a 4 hour flight but its warm all year where Spain is cold in winter.There are a few good hotels there with facilities for mobility impaired with roll in showers and you can check these out on

http://www.disabledaccessholidays.com/

6. Re: Recommended Destinations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 17, 2014