We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to expect when taking a wheelchair on flights.

Albany, New York USA
reviews: 17
What to expect when taking a wheelchair on flights.

I'll be travelling next month with my 88 year mom to Germany. While she can walk with assistance, I'll be taking a collapsible transporter style wheelchair to use most of the time. The flight is with Lufthansa Newark – Zurich, with unfortunately a change in Germany in both directions . We have used airport wheelchair service before and had no problems, in fact it was much smoother than I expected. (The airline is aware she will need assistance.)

My question is about the actual transporting of her wheelchair. I would assume it would get checked in with the luggage, then the airport wheelchair would be provided through security, etc. to the plane?

And the 2 "foot peddles" and the seat cushion she uses? Would I be better off to keep those items with me as hand luggage so they don't get lost? Any past experience/suggestions would be appreciated.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
1. Re: What to expect when taking a wheelchair on flights.

My experience is that staff use your chair to get you TO the plane, then it goes in the hold. At destination, the staff bring an airport chair for you, and you collect your own chair at baggage collection.

The foot rests always stay on my chair, and I don't use a cushion. If you can, take it as hand luggage I guess.

Edited: 2:12 pm, April 13, 2013
2. Re: What to expect when taking a wheelchair on flights.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 15, 2014