We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prescribed Medication

Hastings, New...
Prescribed Medication

I am visiting China as a tourist for 18days. Am in a wheelchair from accident many years ago. I have to take doctor prescribed morphine, ritalin, clonazepam and diazepam. Will I be allowed into China? Has any one else taken such meds with them and what must I do, what agency must I contact to get permission. I am taking 2 drs letters, copy of prescription and drugs will be labelled in original packs. I am sad & very worried. All paid up but cannot find an agency in China to contact. Any help most welcome thank you.

locon@xtra.co.nz

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
1. Re: Prescribed Medication

I did a little scouting and the general message is what I'd expected, ie make sure your drugs are in the original containers, labelled by the pharmacy with instructions for your use and carry a copy of your prescription - and maybe an original, in case you lose your stock. Pack in your hand luggage. Typical webpage : www.selenatravel.com/tours/china/medical.html A letter from your doctor may also help.

From the US DoS site : Travelers have reported difficulty passing through customs inspection when arriving with large quantities of prescription medications. If you regularly take over-the-counter or prescription medication, bring your own supply in the original container, including each drug's generic name, and carry the doctor’s prescription with you. Many commonly-used U.S. drugs and medications are not available in China, and some that bear names that are the same as or similar to prescription medications from the United States may not contain the same ingredients or may be counterfeit. If you try to have medications sent to you from outside China, you may have problems getting them released by Chinese Customs and/or you may have to pay high customs duties.

2. Re: Prescribed Medication

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 16, 2014