We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disabled traveller Nile cruises

wales
reviews: 12
Disabled traveller Nile cruises

I am a wheelchair user and I would love to do a nile cruise, I have read that the MS Amarco which is an accessible Nile boat, but there are quit a few tour companies which does this cruise, basically I would like to hear from any wheelchair user who has done this cruise, and with who, what do they include, eg. International flight, internal flights,I would also like to stay the second week in the Red Sea, so if anyone has any information that would help, I would be very grateful.

Thank you.

Ann

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
1. Re: Disabled traveller Nile cruises

Be very careful checking how this would work, Ann. As I recall, boats can't all dock directly so they tie up to one another and passegers "walk the plank" from one boat to another, and eventually to shore.

Things mayhave changed, but you will not want to be left on board while everyone else goes sightseeing!

Also, you need to check how accessible the sites and sights are

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
reviews: 99
2. Re: Disabled traveller Nile cruises

You need to also post on the Luxor forum, at least one of the experts on that forum has significant mobility problems.

Egypt is not a wheelchair friendly country but with a bit of effort it is possible to get around, We did not attempt to do a cruise but instead spent a week in Luxor. tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294205-i9426-k4…

You may better of booking a taxi (extremely cheap) to take you to the sites rather than attempting to keep up with the organised coach tours.

Travel in the winter so that the temperature is reasonable for your wheelchair pusher.

London, England
reviews: 65
3. Re: Disabled traveller Nile cruises

I had alsways wanted to do a Nile cruise and before booking one I did plenty of research. I have severe Arthritis so have limited standing and can't walk long distances.

I came to the conclusion that a Nile Cruise was not suitable for the reasons in post # 1.

We have now been to Luxor twice, but have stayed in a hotel and taken private tours each day. There are plenty of local tour companies who can arrange them cheaply for you. The company that we booked with also supplied a wheelchair for me to use. It was very useful and I managed to do many of the tours during the two visits we made.

We are not sunbathers so went both times in December, which was an ideal temperature for us. We went out every day on a different tour. Obviously, some places were more accessible than others, but I found the Egyptian people very helpful.

As already mentioned there is quite a lot of info on the Luxor Forum.

wales
4. Re: Disabled traveller Nile cruises

I suppose that sound more sensible, my heart wants to do it, but my brain and body say something else. Who did you book with to go to Luxor, was it a package holiday, what was the name of your hotel, was it suitable for wheelchairs, sorry for so many questions but as you say we have to find out these things, did you travel by coach on the tours, as I am unable to get on the bus, would we be able to hire a driver and mini bus, are the places of interest far from Luxor, anything that you think might help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Ann

London, England
5. Re: Disabled traveller Nile cruises

welshlady23

On both occasions we travelled with Thomas Cook as they had good deals at the time. I think the prices have increased a bit now. The first time we stayed in the hotel El Luxor, which is very accessible. The second time we stayeyed at the Sonesta St George which has steps at the front, but I can manage a few steps.

We took a pre booked taxi to/from Luxor airport and otel, which was cheap, I think about £5 each way for the taxi.

We visited all the sites closeby like Valley of the Kings, Hatchetsphut's Temple, Luxor Temple, Karnak Temple, Carter's House etc. We did a trip around Luxor in a calehe, which was a bit difficult to get into, but I managed.

We also did the full day Nile cruise to Dendera an another very full day trip to another temple and I've forgotten the name of the place. We did the nighttime Stargazers trip too, but I don't think it operates any more. The rest of the time we went out and about around Luxor and took taxis, which are cheap. All the trips were done with a small minibus, driver and guide and were cheap as we booked them all with a local agent. I'll PM you the details.

wales
6. Re: Disabled traveller Nile cruises

Sounds brilliant, all quite accessible, and not to far away, the mini bus would be no trouble as my husband can lift me into a mini bus, , and were you hassled too much. Feeling excited now. Can't wait. Looking forward to your message.

Ann

wales
7. Re: Disabled traveller Nile cruises

What I meant to ask also, did you book all inclusive or bed and breakfast, are the restaurants accessible, which would be the best option?

London, England
8. Re: Disabled traveller Nile cruises

We booked BB as the restaurants and eating out are very cheap. Quite a few places acssible as they are on ground level. Information about accessible restaurants on Luxor Forum.

9. Re: Disabled traveller Nile cruises

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 23, 2014
Get answers to your questions