We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryan Air: Free kgs, 2 mobility aids & other info

Bristol, United...
reviews: 29
Ryan Air: Free kgs, 2 mobility aids & other info

These are definitely good to know points for anyone travelling with a person with reduced mobility and/or need mobility aids and medical equipment.

1. You can carry up to 2 pieces of mobility equipment e.g. wheelchair and wheeled walking frame - FREE OF CHARGE - You only need to register the wheelchair at time of booking. No need to ring the Special Asistance Line for the 2nd mobility item (walking frame). If you have missed this at the initial booking stage you can change the special assistance later under "manage my booking". Alternatively you can ring the Special Assistance Line on 0871 2460 003 which is charged at 10p per min. There are no alternative landline numbers for this (I've tried).

2. If you need to take extra medical supplies, e.g. incontinence pads, nebulisers etc., then the Special Assistance Line will allow you an extra 5kg FREE OF CHARGE

3. People requiring special assistance will be put in rows 27-32 at the back of the aircraft. They can get a special wheeled seat to get a disabled person along the aisle.

4. Ryan Air policy is to always seat an accompanying adult next to the person requiring Special Assistance.

5. People requiring Special Assistance are boarded LAST.

6. There are a maximum of 4 people requiring Special Assistance allowed on any one aircraft.

Hope this helps those disabled travellers out there as Ryan Air do not publicise this information.

21 replies to this topic
1. Re: Ryan Air: Free kgs, 2 mobility aids & other info

I intend to travel with a mobility scooter for the first time on Ryanair. Can I have others' experience of this please?

Rhuddlan
reviews: 4
2. Re: Ryan Air: Free kgs, 2 mobility aids & other info

My partner Richard Evans and I, are travelling on 30th September2013 from Liverpool to Limoges. We both have a walking stick but realise now we should declare them at time of booking. The telephone line is closed until Monday. Do hope you can help. We manage well for our ages but the stick helps when walking any distance. I'm 82 Mr Evans 89. Thank you

blantyre
reviews: 5
3. Re: Ryan Air: Free kgs, 2 mobility aids & other info

i want take a fold down walking frame is it okay

blantyre
reviews: 5
4. Re: Ryan Air: Free kgs, 2 mobility aids & other info

i want take a fold down walking frame is it okay

Bristol, United...
5. Re: Ryan Air: Free kgs, 2 mobility aids & other info

That is fine. You can in fact take 2 items e.g. a walking frame and a wheelchair. I would always check with their help line though just in case they change this. You can ask them to send you an email confirmation. The last time I rang the helpline, it cost 10p per minute which sounds outrageous but when you think that it would only cost you £3 for half an hour (which it shouldn't take) then it is well worth the peace of mind.

If thinking of taking a mobility scooter, you need to be able to remove the battery. Try this out beforehand otherwise they will not let you take it. Last time we flew with a mobility scooter they allowed us to keep the scooter until we arrived at the aircraft at which point we disconnected the battery and reduced it down as much as they wanted but, as before, always check with the airline what their present policy is.

Bon voyage!

Bristol, United...
6. Re: Ryan Air: Free kgs, 2 mobility aids & other info

Update. Ryan Air always insist on the disabled passenger sitting in a window seat. If necessary, they will manhandle you into it. They turf the people in the row behind out (remember able-bodied people embarked before you) whilst one person holds the person under the arms and lifts, or bumps, you across the row of seats in front, aided by a second individual. None of these people seem to have had any manual handling training. I've seen someone get hurt when this happened to her. The reason they place you here is so that a disabled person will not inhibit the exit of able-bodied passenger leaving the plane in the event of an emergency. I am sure that if enough people banded together we could raise this under the EU Human Rights legislation.

They will also not put you in the first or last couple of rows in the aircraft for the same reason. Your travel companion can insist that they go in first, you just need to state that you CHOOSE to be on the inside.Let's face it how many of us would leave our loved ones? We'd do anything possible to get them out before thinking of ourselves.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
reviews: 95
7. Re: Ryan Air: Free kgs, 2 mobility aids & other info

The Ryan air seating policy is based upon a European Air Safety Agency report

…eu.int/rulemaking/…201.1.pdf

Extract from the European Air Safety Agency report - Carriage by Air of Special Categories of Passengers

Recommendation for seating of SCPs

- The more immobile an SCP is, the further away he should be seated from the aisle and the further from the exit.

- SCPs should be positioned such that the SCP and its accompanying persons are located at the end of a row of passengers to be evacuated, in order to avoid obstructing other passengers.

Basically this report concludes that disabled people are considered expendable in an emergency.

In order to produce a minor improvement improvement of average evacuation times in the extremely rare* likelihood of an emergency evacuation disabled people are to be placed in seats furthest away from exits and toilets inconveniencing them on Every normal flight and minimising their chance of survival in case of emergency

*I can find no statistics on how likely an emergency evacuation actually is - it must be in the order of 1 per 100,000 flights

Birkenhead, United...
8. Re: Ryan Air: Free kgs, 2 mobility aids & other info

Hi , I have just booked to go with Ryanair and am very worried my daughter is in a wheelchair and cannot stand they have put us in row 33d,e,f. Hope they are ok does anyone know?

Birkenhead, United...
9. Re: Ryan Air: Free kgs, 2 mobility aids & other info

Hi , I have just booked to go with Ryanair and am very worried my daughter is in a wheelchair and cannot stand they have put us in row 33d,e,f. Hope they are ok does anyone know?

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
reviews: 95
10. Re: Ryan Air: Free kgs, 2 mobility aids & other info

Row 33 is the very back row and closest to the exit - Ryanair loads disabled from the back so these are good though may have limited locker space see seatguru.com/airlines/Ryanair/Ryanair_Boeing…

Last time we flew Ryanair we were forced into row 27 which is significantly further from the door and not at all suitable for those with walking difficulty.

Reply to: Ryan Air: Free kgs, 2 mobility aids & other info
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted