We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheelchair accessible trips in California

Ljubljana, Slovenia
reviews: 8
Wheelchair accessible trips in California

Maybe someone knows agency in California that deals with customized tours for wheelchair?

Is public transport sufficiently adapted wheelchair for the following attractions: Death Valley, Yosemite Park, Napa Valley, Grand Canyon?

20 replies to this topic
Denver, Colorado
reviews: 25
11. Re: Wheelchair accessible trips in California

TaMala:

That's great. Glad you found a group that has the type of tour that you're looking for. I hope you take the time after your trip to come back to this forum and let us know how it was. I don't think there's a better way to find truly accessible travel options than hearing about it from somebody else with physical limitations. Have a wonderful trip.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 1
12. Re: Wheelchair accessible trips in California

We offer trips worldwide and would love to assist. We have condominium accessibility on the California Coast and lower our prices with increased participation. Please visit getupandgoassistedtravel.com

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 206
13. Re: Wheelchair accessible trips in California

Jane, You will find Florida to be one of the easiest places to manage with a disability. From disabled parking to special assistance at theme parks, people who must use a wheelchair have a great deal of freedom in this state which I am sure must be 90% ADA compliant.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
14. Re: Wheelchair accessible trips in California

Ryan - it's against the forum rules to self-promote. I've reported your 3 posts, which should be removed

Silver Spring...
15. Re: Wheelchair accessible trips in California

Hi, just saw your answer to someone's request for wheelchair accessible trips. I would be interested in trips anywhere where a manual wheelchair could be accommodated.

Silver Spring...
16. Re: Wheelchair accessible trips in California

Maybe you can also help me. Am interested in any wheelchair trips (manual chair) anywhere. I am in Silver Spring Md

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 206
17. Re: Wheelchair accessible trips in California

Hi eileen, Where is it that you wish to go? I find the area where you live to be exceptionally friendly to disabled people. In fact, almost all of the US is accessible to people in manual wheelchairs. While I avoid hiking trails in the national parks, obstacle courses, zip lines, canoe tours, and other nonsense like this, most places in the US have made enormous progress to adapting for disabled. I find hotels with wet rooms, switches placed in accessible locations, and now hotels are putting in lifts in swimming pools for disabled people. I stayed in one two weeks ago that was absolutely perfect.

I live in Florida when we are not traveling. This is a state that has more that it's share of older people with mobility issues, and it is exceptionally friendly for wheelchairs users. The only difficulty I really experience is that sometimes in stores merchants put display racks too close together for me to get between them, but that is not a huge inconvenience.

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 25
18. Re: Wheelchair accessible trips in California

Eileen:

I'd be delighted to help in anyway I can. I use a power chair, so have more restrictions than you do, but still find numerous accessible options for people of all abilities. If you've got a few specific destinations that you're considering but don't know which one to choose, let me know and I'll share some of my thoughts on your options.

I will second another member's post that Florida is very wheelchair friendly, as is most of California. Las Vegas is one of my favorites due to the wide variety of entertainment options available in a compact area. If you're looking to go out of the country, I'd be happy to share some of my experiences regarding various destinations in Mexico, Europe and the Caribbean as well.

Happy travels!

Janette

Manchester, United...
reviews: 15
19. Re: Wheelchair accessible trips in California

Can l ask if you took your British disabled blue badge, is it recognised in California and surrounding states.

San Diego
reviews: 15
20. Re: Wheelchair accessible trips in California

I live in Palm Springs -- one of the best towns for accessibility in the world. Let me know if you have any questions. There are wonderful accessible natural attractions around here like Joshua Tree National Park, the Salton Sea, Mt. San Jacinto, etc, in addition to the cosmopolitan - yet very accessible - vibe of Palm Springs itself.

Reply to: Wheelchair accessible trips in California
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted