We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheelchair accessible trips in California

Ljubljana, Slovenia
reviews: 10
Wheelchair accessible trips in California

Maybe someone knows agency in California that deals with customized tours for wheelchair?

Is public transport sufficiently adapted wheelchair for the following attractions: Death Valley, Yosemite Park, Napa Valley, Grand Canyon?

20 replies to this topic
New Jersey
reviews: 55
1. Re: Wheelchair accessible trips in California

Just returned from trip to Northern Ca in September. Was pleased to find that the national and state parks all have maps which outline which attractions and trails are wheelchair accessible. I did have one problem on a rough trail, which was identified as such, where I bent a small wheel. Public transport is excellent, we had no problems. CA is a very ADA friendly state. I did not use an agency. We visited Santa Cruz, San Francisco, and then drove up the coast to the great Redwoods and then back down through Napa.

Also, got a free park pass by showing my disabled driver card, so did not have to pay entrance fees and had great parking options. Get at the visitor center at the first park you visit. Have fun!

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 26
2. Re: Wheelchair accessible trips in California

I would be delighted to help you plan for your trip to California. I travel there often, although most of my trips tends to be beach vacations rather than national parks. I also use public transportation quite frequently even though I am in a large power wheelchair. If it is specifically tours that cater to wheelchair users that you're looking for, I can see what is out there. Let me do a little research and I will get back with you. When do you plan to travel?

Denver, Colorado
3. Re: Wheelchair accessible trips in California

I've not used them personally, but I did find this website that might help with your Grand Canyon segment:

www.accesstours.org

Happy Travels!

Wales
reviews: 5
4. Re: Wheelchair accessible trips in California

Hello Wheelchair Wanderer

I am in the Uk and my 16 year old son has said he'd love to go to California this year. He is quadriplegic and uses a power chair and needs a special shower/toilet seat. We know air travel is a nightmare but I was wondering if you could offer some tips for travel in the area? We are a family of 5 (2 16 year olds who want cool factor and a 4 year old with a zest for life) us oldies want relaxation and stress free. We're happy to drive but would stress over city driving I think.

Any tips would be really welcome either positive or negative to help us decide what to do. Oh and my husband is profoundly deaf too and only lip reads :)

Thank you so much for your time

Jane

Denver, Colorado
5. Re: Wheelchair accessible trips in California

In my opinion, California is all that it is cracked up to be and more. Although there are a number of places that would meet the criteria you mentioned, my personal favorite is the San Diego area. It has beaches, amusement parks, fabulous museums, good public transportation, and friendly locals. There are a number of day trips that you can take including Del Mar, Oceanside, or even as far north as Orange County. But there’s no need to leave the immediate area to find a diverse array of things to do. Visit the island of Coronado, bicycle along Mission Bay, walk through the cliff side town of La Jolla, have dinner in the Gaslamp District. Whatever you do, don’t miss Balboa Park!

There are several websites that can help you plan your accessible vacation. Get some great information at http://www.sandiego.org/ to help you decide what you want to do. Then visit www.asd.travel/default.asp?textpage=home for information on accessibility. I have stayed at a number of good hotels, taken the public bus and tram, visited most of the places I’ve mentioned, and even stayed at several vacation rentals that were wheelchair accessible. I’ve had no memorable negative experiences to share, but would be happy to give you more specifics if you like. If another part of California appeals to you more, let me know. I’ll follow this post closely.

Denver, Colorado
6. Re: Wheelchair accessible trips in California

TaMala:

I have not been to Yosemite (although it's very high on "want to go" list. I did find this link to accessible guide, however. nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/access.pdf

Here is an accessibility guide for the Napa Valley: abilitytrip.com/north_america/…

The wine train has a number of lunch tours that visit the local wineries and is wheelchair accessible. You can even bring your service animal on board if you have one. Visit http://winetrain.com/faq

I know absolutely nothing about Death Valley, but would follow the advice of LetsGoMama's post about National Park access.

I have spent a great deal of time and and around San Francisco on a number of trips, so if you'd like to hear more about that let me know. Good luck on your adventure to Northern California.

Happy Travels!

Edited: 3:13 pm, January 14, 2013
reviews: 2
7. Re: Wheelchair accessible trips in California

Hi I'm an ex-pat from Uk now living close to San Francisco with daughter in wheelchair. Nearly all of the big attractions in Cal. w. chair friendly. The US lingo for that is "ADA Compliant" - which guarantees high standard of accessibility. Use that terminology to be certain all parties are really talking about the same thing.

You should definitely visit SF, Muir woods (Redwoods), Yosemite, maybe catch a Rodeo somewhere, Santa Cruz a surf/uni town, Napa or Sonoma Valley. I'd give LA a miss - unless you want to go to Disneyland (if you do go to D.land pick-up a special disabled pass from their 'Town Hall' which will allow your party to go to the front of the line!)

Cant't write anymore now but have some websites to recommend. Cheers. C

8. Re: Wheelchair accessible trips in California

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, January 29, 2013

Wales
reviews: 5
9. Re: Wheelchair accessible trips in California

Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom. Great to hear from you Certburg as it's always helpful getting advice from people in a similar situation.

Plans have now changed though. Whilst planning this trip, friends have invited us to share their holiday in Florida. Having someone else to help is always a huge bonus and of course Florida has so much to do the kids can't wait!

I'll store the info received though for future trips.

Thanks Everyone

Jane

Ljubljana, Slovenia
reviews: 10
10. Re: Wheelchair accessible trips in California

Hello Wheelchair Wanderer...

Thank you for so many good informations... this will helps a lot... i found a group, that have accessible trips all over http://www.grayline.com/ probably all the trips i will do with them...

Thanx again...

With regards...

Reply to: Wheelchair accessible trips in California
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted