We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobility Scooters

Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
reviews: 13
Mobility Scooters

I am researching for a friend who needs a three wheeler to get around in Thailand. What brands are recommended, electric v petrol, etc?

Santa Clarita...
reviews: 4
1. Re: Mobility Scooters

I can't give you any information about petrol mobility scooters, because I have not seen one, but I would recommend that you research 4 wheel scooters because they are much more stable than the 3 wheelers, but they do weigh more. Also, they have a bigger turning radius and are not as handy inside the house. I found a GoGo that I like and have rented it from a Medical Supply company for the week. It has some nice features (seat turns for eating at a table) and some that are surprizing (doesn't stop on a dime). The salesman at the store also advised that if I need to fly with it, the thing to do is tell them that I require the scooter in the airport and not to take it apart, etc., otherwise they will make you check it and put you in a wheel chair. I am still looking forward to that aspect, since I just got it and am training my service dog to walk along side.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but hope you find something your friend likes.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
2. Re: Mobility Scooters

You can't take a power scooter in the cabin. Even if you make it to the aircraft door, you'll have to transfer to the airline's wheelchair to be taken to your seat, and your scooter will be dismantled as necessary and put in the hold.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 208
3. Re: Mobility Scooters

My husband and I have "Go Go" scooters manufactured by Pride. We love them. We have no stability issues and much prefer the three wheel design for turning radius.

When we fly we drive our scooters to the door of the plane. They are then gate checked and returned to us at the door of the plane when we arrive. No one ever takes them apart. They just put them in with the luggage.

This model does, however, come apart in several smaller pieces. When we travel with them in our automobile we take them apart and put them in our trunk. No piece weighs more than 25 lbs. I can take mine apart and put it together myself, and this is proof that it is easy because I cannot even manage a can-opener.

I have owned two scooters and probably rented a dozen different scooters, but I like the Pride "Go Go" best.

Limerick, Ireland
reviews: 3
4. Re: Mobility Scooters

I have recently acquired a mobility scooter to help me get around. I have until recently been able to use a stick or rollator but notable Togo very far. I have booked a holiday to Canada with a motorhome to travel, but I am concerned will I be able to transport the scooter in the motorhome. I also recently purchased a motor home for use in Europe where I travel regularly. The same question arises how do I transport it.

Gabby

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 208
5. Re: Mobility Scooters

Hi Gabby053, Motorhomes come in a huge variety of styles and configurations from huge Class A motorhomes to smaller Class C Motorhomes. I have, however, never been in a motorhome with the exception of van conversions that does not have exterior storage under the motorhome.

We live in our RV during the winter months, and we have no trouble storing our scooters in this space. RV people often refer to this area as the basement. Even smaller RVs usually have some basement storage.

Our scooters come apart into five pieces. We can easily put one of them in the trunk of our tiny Chrysler Crossfire,, so storing them in the RV is very easy. We do not take them apart. We simply remove the batteries so we can charge them.

If your scooter does not fit you might do what our neighbor does. She has a tiny 18' travel trailer. When moving she keeps her scooter in the center of her travel trailer, in front of the kitchen sink. When she parks she moves the scooter outside. She chains it to a heavy bolt under her travel trailer and covers it with a plastic cover. This works very well for her.

Limerick, Ireland
reviews: 3
6. Re: Mobility Scooters

Thank you for your reply. I have been thinking of putting the scooter inthe centre of the motorhome while travelling, and like your friend I could store it outside when we park.i will also arrange with my travel agent to havethecompany with whom we are renting themotorhome in Canada to expect us to be bringing one with us. This year will be my first time travelling with both a motorhome and scooter and over the summer I hope to travel in the United Kingdom, franc, Belgium and of course Canada, so here goes.

Granbury, tx.
reviews: 9
7. Re: Mobility Scooters

i have a Zipr 3 wheel scooter with a closed-in basket and you can sit on the lid. i went to Europe this summer, and rode on cobblestones-very rough--no problem we've been on other cruises-everybody helped, it was placed in tour buses and planes without dismantleing it. Places we visited let us in free in sights. 5 pieces dismantled.--gel battieries--ok on planes. got mine online and scootter store has them. i absolutely promise you that this scooter is the solution: not heavy-9o lb.with 259 weight limit.

Granbury, tx.
8. Re: Mobility Scooters

Read my reply to this. My husband puts it underneath--5 pieces- easy. to dismantle. We are in Good Sam RV club.we travel in our 5th wheel. i use it all the time

Granbury, tx.
9. Re: Mobility Scooters

Read my answer below to questions

Homestead, Florida
reviews: 5
10. Re: Mobility Scooters

I traveled on Celebrity Cruises to Alaska, from Rome through the eastern Mediterranean, and in the Western Caribbean. I have a Pride Go-Go Traveler Elite Plus - 3 wheel with larger battery. I too have some mobility and can assemble or dismantle the scooter myself. I had no problem on board the newer ships, but on older ships the doorways and transoms are difficult or sometimes impossible. The ramps to board and to disembark are sometimes very steep, and the well-meaning staff try to push you up ramps, activating the fail-safe on the scooter, and requiring that I re-boot it. So now I just walk it up and down myself. Easier that way.

In the Caribbean, there are NO excursions that permit you to take a scooter. I do not use a wheelchair, and a collapsible wheelchair is all that the tour buses will take. So you are on your own in the Caribbean.

I found that private taxis/vans are inexpensive and VERY CLEAN, with exceptionally helpful drivers. On my first trip to Cozumel, I had paid for an excursion to Passion Island and had been assured it was accessible. The man who ran the tour thought otherwise. So my companion and I hired a van, and had a lovely time. Last trip to Cozumel I was ready and hired a van right away, and found a wonderful and fully accessible private beach club, FREE, with an accessible swimming pool. I have already booked a day pass for my upcoming trip to Cozumel, at a fully accessible resort 5 minutes from the pier.

The other Caribbean ports were not so easy. I ended up getting robbed in Jamaica, turned down after waiting on interminable lines on Grand Cayman, and I didn't even bother trying Labadee.

On this next trip I am looking for anyone with information on access to any Panama Canal train trips, any Costa Rica coffee plantation or chocolate ...whatever it is called. In Puerto Costa Maya, any trip to see ruins, and the fortress in Cartagena. I of course tried the shore excursion people, but they simply so NO, they have no tours available.

So HELP please!