We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheelchair friendly honeymoon

Essex
Wheelchair friendly honeymoon

My fiancé and I are looking for a honeymoon destination for the end of May/beginning of June next year. He is a full time manual wheelchair user, so we need somewhere that is wheelchair accessible. We will fly for a max of 10 hours (from London) and want somewhere hot and sunny that also has interesting places to visit (my fiancé likes to see some history). We are looking for somewhere fairly flat if possible, and definitely want somewhere that has accessible bars/restaurants (we have been to places where we couldn't get in anywhere once we left the hotel!)

We would really appreciate any help!

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
reviews: 99
1. Re: Wheelchair friendly honeymoon

Accessibility across North America is generally excellent, the problem with most historic sites is that they weren't designed with wheelchair access in mind!

London, England
reviews: 64
2. Re: Wheelchair friendly honeymoon

I have limited mobility due to severe arthritis and during the past couple of years have been taking a folding manual wheelchair away. I must add that I can walk a short distance and climb stairs and get into coaches etc.

In the past couple of years we have beeen on cruises, which I have found very suitable. We have been to the Caribbean, Norwegian Fjords and Canary Islands.

I find France and Spain disabled friendly in general. Rome is a bit of a nightmare. We have been to Luxor and I managed to visit all the sites, even though they are not all disabled friendly, but we had a private guide who insisted on showing me everything. I had a few bumpy rides, lots of laughs and a great time.

Even in places not so accessible we find that people are generally willing to help. Our last trip in November to Seville where I took a mobility scooter, which was a Godsend.

I think you need to decide where you want to go and what you want to see. Then, you need to do lots of research and put questions in the relevant forums.

Washington DC...
reviews: 30
3. Re: Wheelchair friendly honeymoon

Although this may be a bit too far for your 10 hour flight limit, Santa Barbara in California is sunny (once the fog burns off in the morning) and is very accessible. My boyfriend is also a manual wheelchair user and found Santa Barbara very easy to get around. On State Street 99% of the shops and restaurants are accessible, and there is a paved boardwalk along the beach. Most of the wineries are accessible as well and there is so much to see driving up and down the coast as well if you rent a car.

Edited: 8:03 am, December 27, 2012
4. Re: Wheelchair friendly honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, January 07, 2014