We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for a wheelchair friendly hotel in Thailand?

essex, uk
reviews: 2
looking for a wheelchair friendly hotel in Thailand?

although my husband is not a wheelchair user, he does have mobility problems. By chance I came across Baan Khaolak hotel in Khaolak, Thailand and am here at the moment. It is one of the best accessible hotels we have found in a long time. There are approx. 10 rooms that have huge bathrooms where a wheelchair can be wheeled into the shoiwer. In the shower there is a huge seat and all the usual grab rails. The balcony is large enough for a wheelchair . The whole resort is flat and the wide paths lead straight to the beach where a transfer to a sunbed is only a few inches. Although a wheellchair can be taken right to the edge of the pool, there are stairs with rails that lead into the pool. However, I feel sure I saw photos of a hoist in use somewhere on the web. The manager is an American,so communication for any questions is very good.

We also stayed at Ao NAng Villas , Ao Nang, Krabi, this was pretty good also, slopes everywhere and good bathroom but the letdown was a deep step from the room to the balcony. A very strange oversight. i thought

London, England
reviews: 64
1. Re: looking for a wheelchair friendly hotel in Thailand?

That's useful information, but what about getting around outside the hotel? Is public transport accessible? I'm sure people with mobility difficulties would be interested in more info.

essex, uk
2. Re: looking for a wheelchair friendly hotel in Thailand?

I don't think Thailand is particularly user friendly for disabled people. We tend to take a taxi (car) everywhere so I can't give any info . regarding getting around outside of the resort. I haven't noticed any drop kerbs fopr example. We are just so pleased to find a resort that is so accessible. It is very hit and miss on how hotels define disabled friendly. I booked a hotel in Vietnam once and described in great detail how important it was for my husband to have a walk in shower as he is not able to climb into a bath. The room had a plunge pool, it must have been 3 foot deep, all very nice with floating rose petals etc but impossible to use. In Cambodia, our ' walk in shower 'was accessed by a stone step up in to the bathroom at least 10 inches high. I now ask hotels to send photos., we have had too many surprises.

London, England
3. Re: looking for a wheelchair friendly hotel in Thailand?

gem166

Yes, I know what you mean. People without disabilities often have no concept of challenges faced. I have limited mobility due to arthritis. Many times I am told something is very near, but for me it is a long, difficult, painful walk.

Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
reviews: 13
4. Re: looking for a wheelchair friendly hotel in Thailand?

Herman, a friend has similar problems, getting around an Airport is bad enough.

essex, uk
5. Re: looking for a wheelchair friendly hotel in Thailand?

Brio,

of all places an airport should be the easiest place for your friend to get around .

We travel extensively and have had wonderful help no matter how large or small the airport is . He just needs to advise at the time of booking that he needs assistance.

The staff will push him through customs, immigration, baggage pickup , to and from the plane where your are getting your transport from outside the terminal. .

If anything, I would say the Far East countries seem to be better organised than the European ones, at busy hubs like Heathrow there can be up to half an hour wait for the wheelchair. .

A good tip is ,about an hour before r before landing remind the on board staff that you will need assistance on landing. In theory your details should be on the airlines computer but if a hiccup has occurred it gives the staff plenty of time to call ahead the airport.

I hope Herman's future travels by air are more comfortable.

London, England
6. Re: looking for a wheelchair friendly hotel in Thailand?

gem166

Thank you for your concern, but I don't have any difficulties travelling as I order assistance at airports and always do plenty of research before we go anywhere. I was just making a comment and trying to say that people who don't have disabilities don't really understand the obstacles we sometimes have to overcome.

Limerick, Ireland
reviews: 6
7. Re: looking for a wheelchair friendly hotel in Thailand?

Very interested in your review of Baan Khaolak and will probably book it for a few nights in May. My husband is a wheelchair user. We are also thinking of going down to Krabi so will check out the place you stayed. Thank you for your comments.

essex, uk
8. Re: looking for a wheelchair friendly hotel in Thailand?

southwestbell,

glad to be of help.

One thing to bear in mind about Ao NAng, Krabi, is that it does not have a beach as such. To get to the beaches involves clambering into longtails so we just spent our time around the pool.

Most of the big chains such as Ramada, Sheraton have wheelchair accessible rooms.

herts
reviews: 1
9. Re: looking for a wheelchair friendly hotel in Thailand?

hi ive recently read your review on Thailand. My husband is a wheelchair user and we are travelling to Bangkok and Phuket in June-can you suggest any airlines? This is our first longhaul trip with the wheelchair and was wondering what airline may be more accommodating. Also , would you know if we would be able to store a sports wheelchair at Bangkok airport...I know they have storage but wasnt sure if it is for small items. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. many thanks.

Bangkok, Thailand
10. Re: looking for a wheelchair friendly hotel in Thailand?

Hello,

My friend and I do gathering accessible places in Thailand (including hotels) for wheelchair users in our website

- www.wheelgoround.in.th

- www.facebook.com/wheelgoround

We jz start doing the website for a few months with the focus in Bangkok first. Now, it contains almost one hundred places on it. Hope this can help wheelchair users going places better.

For any suggestion or if you want to share info of accessible places, you can post on our facebook page. Thanks!