We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobility Scooters-Amsterdam

Harrogate
Mobility Scooters-Amsterdam

HI, My Mother and I are to travel to Amsterdam soon. Mum needs to use a mobility scooter. Does anyone know of a company that rents MOBILITY SCOOTERS by the week? Thanks, Anna

12 replies to this topic
London, England
reviews: 59
1. Re: Mobility Scooters-Amsterdam

The Red Cross lend manual wheelchairs FOC, you just give them a donation. There are quite a number of companies who rent mobility scooters, just do a search.

If you want to rent one in Amsterdam, then I suggest you look or put your question on the Amsterdam Forum.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 201
2. Re: Mobility Scooters-Amsterdam

Just a word of warning about disability services at the Amsterdam airport.....if your mother requires the use of a wheelchair to leave the airport you may have some difficulties.

In more than 20 years of traveling with a physical disability I received the worst service I have ever had in Amsterdam. Regardless of what the flight attendants tell you about a wheelchair waiting for you at the end of the jetway, stay on the airplane until a wheelchair arrives at the door of the plane.

Once you are off of the plane no one cares if you get wheelchair service or not, and there is no one at the end of the jetway to help you. In Amsterdam they still have problems even if the wheelchair comes to the door of the plane. They use a wheelchair to take passengers down the jetway and then they dump them out. Passengers are told that other wheelchairs will arrive to take them to their destinations, but this is a hit or miss proposition.

Lastly, while all of your paperwork may request wheelchair assistance, do not expect that the people who manage the wheelchair services for the airport will have any record of your request. If they do not have a record they will not move you even if you have no mobility at all. They will simply announce that they do not see your name and therefore cannot legally provide you with wheelchair services.

You need to be prepared to walk because that is likely what will happen to you. Plan plenty of time so you can stop frequently to rest, and limit carry-ons because you will have all you can manage getting yourself to your destination.

I have been through Amsterdam four times this month, and each experience was worse than the time before. I have never experienced such careless behavior performed by such arrogant children in my life. I have one more transfer through the airport next week and I would rather have a root canal than return there. I am quite determined to avoid this airport in all my future travels.

My experiences were beyond dreadful!!

London, England
reviews: 59
3. Re: Mobility Scooters-Amsterdam

The previos poster has obviously had a bad experience in Amsterdam and I am sorry it has happened. However, I have used wheelchair assistance in AMS and not had a problem. Just make sure it is pre-booked. EU airports must provide the service for you.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
4. Re: Mobility Scooters-Amsterdam

<<EU airports must provide the service for you.>>

Would that were true. When an 18 year old twit with an electronic gadget in his hand tells you that you either walk or miss your plane there is precious little that anyone can do about it. Subsequent reports to the airline were dismissed with the explanation that the wheelchair service is out-sourced to a sub-contractor and the airline has no control over the people who manage wheelchairs. I pre-booked, and I confirmed that pre-booking on four different occasions, and I confirmed the wheelchair assistance request when we checked in early in the morning on our incoming flight to Amstedam. I also showed I was pre-booked on the computer with KLM when I checked in with the gate agent in Amsterdam.

There was nothing more that I could have done to prevent the situation, and absolutely nothing I could do when we were in middle of the entire mess. I have now been through Amsterdam twice this month. The first experience was mitigated only because we had an 8 hour lay-over, and the assistance and support of the staff in the sky lounge. The service itself was still late and sloppy and arrogant. The second experience is the worst airport event we have ever experienced in many years of flying.

So you can state that EU airports must provide service for you, but, in fact, my experience suggests that they clearly can refuse to provide service. A mandate that appears to have no consequences if it is violated is no better than an absence of any mandate to begin with.

An 18 year old child who demands that a rather feeble and clearly mobility impaired gentlemen walk a huge distance at a quick pace is not merely incompetent but sadistic. I do not see how the EU could have controlled this child, and I see no consequences for his behavior.

At least in the US a passenger report of this lack of "service" would result in a fine to the company responsible for the service, and I cannot imagine anyone simply lifting his nose into the air and announcing the situation was beyond his control.

I never intend to travel through Amsterdam again after our return trip to the US this next week. It was not just a single mistake by a child, but the lack of support or assistance from twelve different members of the KLM and airport staff. I have never experienced such arrogance and indifference than I experienced in Amsterdam, and while it is probably unfair, based only on our interaction with twelve people, there was not a single person who refuted our perception that no one gave a darn about what was happening to us.

I am happy that poster Herman did not have a similar problem, but his success does not mitigate the impact of the disaster we experienced. People with mobility issues need to be very careful when passing through Amsterdam.

5. Re: Mobility Scooters-Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, December 05, 2012

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 65
6. Re: Mobility Scooters-Amsterdam

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Tina;

I would suggest that you familiarize yourself with the posting guidelines regarding the participation of business representatives, as your post is in violation of them.

tripadvisor.com/help/Can_I_sell_or_promote_s…

Best Regards

Atlanta, Georgia
7. Re: Mobility Scooters-Amsterdam

I will be going to Amsterdam in April 2013 and I need to rent a mobility scooter for a week. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated. Thanks

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 16
8. Re: Mobility Scooters-Amsterdam

I know that this is way too late to be of any use to the OP, but for future reference, if you need to hire (rent) a mobility device, contact your hotel. I arrived in Amsterdam on Dec. 24th, and grossly overestimating my walking range, quickly realized that I needed to get some help.

I explained the situation to my hotel, and within two hours, on the afternoon of Christmas Eve, they had a fully charged scooter waiting in the lobby for me. Not just anything that could be scraped up at the last minute, but a brand new one with big pneumatic tyres that made those bumpy, brick paved sidewalks smooth as glass. They were also kind enough to pay the fee and added it onto my bill.

I wouldn't advise waiting until the last minute like I did, but if you call or email them a week or so before your arrival, they should be able to have it ready for you when you get there.

Edited: 3:53 pm, October 15, 2013
Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
9. Re: Mobility Scooters-Amsterdam

Do you have any idea what the name of the company was that provided the scooter? I could really use a scooter for a very long layover in AMS, but I am not staying in a hotel. I would love to be able to rent two for the day.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 16
10. Re: Mobility Scooters-Amsterdam

They have it listed on my invoice as Scootmobiel. Hope that helps.

Reply to: Mobility Scooters-Amsterdam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted