We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

warfarin and travel insurance

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 1
warfarin and travel insurance

I am on warfarin for atrial fibrillation. I have no pain and no symptoms. My condition was only diagnosed when i had to undergo a routine unrelated procedure as a day patient. I see a cardiologist once a year. I am 68 and still working and would dearly like to take the trip of a lifetime, but without insurance I am not willing to take the risk as we are not wealthy . Has anyone managed to get travel insurance with this condition?

Marlene

27 replies to this topic
Rojales, Spain
1. Re: warfarin and travel insurance

Hi Marlene, I am just searching for insurance myself. If you are a uk resident then Staysure do it and also All Clear. I have just had a quote from Staysure's expat site for a 16 day trip to China from Spain and the quote was 280 pounds for us both. I will take this up but just need to check that I can't get it cheaper.

I am trying now to find another company which will give insurance for, expats, over 70s, taking Sintrom!

Best wishes

Pat

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 1
2. Re: warfarin and travel insurance

Thanks for your reply Pat. I am an Australian resident so I am not sure of getting cover with a UK insurer, but I will try them anyway.

South Wales
reviews: 22
3. Re: warfarin and travel insurance

Gosh didn't know that difficult to get insurance whilst on Warfarin. My husband has AF and we were insured with our bank, HSBC, last year but now he on warfarin as he has to have cardioversion procedure in few weeks.Any reponse regarding insurers would help.

Thanks

Rojales, Spain
4. Re: warfarin and travel insurance

I don't think it is difficult but taking anticoagulants puts the price up quite a bit. In fact in the end I had to pay over 300 uk pounds for a 2 week holiday to china. . My added difficulty is that we are both over 70 and live in Spain . The only company I could find was Staysure but I am sure you could use another company if your husband is under 70 and live in the uk.

South Wales
reviews: 22
5. Re: warfarin and travel insurance

Thanks for your response, my husband only 57, living in UK and travelling to Greece in Summer.

Melbourne, Australia
6. Re: warfarin and travel insurance

Marlene,I am also an australian, did you have any luck with Travel Insurance, for your condition? Grae.

Melbourne, Australia
7. Re: warfarin and travel insurance

Marlene,I am also an australian, did you have any luck with Travel Insurance, for your condition? Grae.

Melbourne
reviews: 13
8. Re: warfarin and travel insurance

I am on warfarin for life owing to 2 rounds of pulmonary embolisms and a dvt. Last year i got covered with Chartis but they have changed names now. I rang today and they declined. I have to now take a medical form to my Dr for him to fill out but it is not guaranteed they will insure me again. What a joke, but i have no option really as i spent 8 weeks last year trying to get travel insurance. Mention warfarin.. and it's usually a "No".

Gosford, Australia
reviews: 12
9. Re: warfarin and travel insurance

Hi Marlene, I am wondering if you had any luck getting cover as my husband and I will be going on a cruise early next year and he is on warfarin. To date we have not been successful getting coverage but here's hoping you have some ideas now.

Leoni

Melbourne
reviews: 13
10. Re: warfarin and travel insurance

Hi Leoni, In May this year i used http://www.covermore.com.au/ they covered me for being on warfarin. I'll use them again in Feb next year when i go overseas again. Good Luck

Reply to: warfarin and travel insurance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted