We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with scooters on flights

London, United...
Traveling with scooters on flights

Just got a large scooter and thinking of buying one for use on holidays.

Not too sure what arrangements to make with the airline and need advice on charges.

Buzz

buzztobago@yahoo.co.uk

15 replies to this topic
Teesside
reviews: 2
1. Re: Traveling with scooters on flights

I think most airlines will only take a maximum of 60 kilograms for the scooter weight.There isnt a charge for them but you must inform the airline before booking as they have a limited number of wheelchairs scooter etc they can take.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
2. Re: Traveling with scooters on flights

This is one where you need to check the websites of the airlines you're most likely to fly with, to get the scooter which most or all will accept. To start you off:

virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en/travel-information…

britishairways.com/travel/…

thomson.co.uk/editorial/faqs/disabled-passen…

emirates.com/english/…special_needs.aspx

Weston Super Mare
reviews: 63
3. Re: Traveling with scooters on flights

Hi Easyjet and Ryanair do not charge to carry mobility scooters. However they will limit the amount of scooters they carry on each flight, when you book on line you simply tick the special needs box for Assistance required, answer the questions regarding the severity of the passengers disability. When you arrive at your airport, assistance staff will take over at the gate and load via ambe lift, your scooter will be put on board whilst loading on the aircraft takes place, when you arrive again assistance staff will meet you at the arrival gate with your scooter and guide you through to the airport exit.

Kine Regards

Ian Gallier

Brazil, Indiana
4. Re: Traveling with scooters on flights

I think you will pay for your extra baggage.

London, England
reviews: 64
5. Re: Traveling with scooters on flights

I have just travelled for the first time with a mobility scooter from LGW/SVQ return with Easyjet. I had booked special assistance when I booked the flight but the decision to take the scooter was made later so I called the airline and they sent me an email confirmation confirming I was taking a scooter.

On the O/B journey there was no problem at all. I drove the scoooter to the gate and it was loaded in the hold. On the I/B journey there were three of us with mobility scooters for the same flight. Although they checked us in promptly they then kept us waiting at the check in desk. After a while I asked why we were waiting and they told me they had to get clearance from the UK for 3 scooters. I showed them the email I had been sent and they let me go through into the departure lounge, but still made the other two pax wait.

Fortunately, I had taken a copy of the specifications as at both airports I was asked quite a lot of questions about size and weight. There is no charge to carry a wheelchair or mobility scooter as long as the weight is less then 60kg.

Coincidentally, all three scooters were the same model which is a Pride GoGo.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 210
6. Re: Traveling with scooters on flights

I have traveled all over the US and in Italy with my Pride GoGo, and there has never been a problem. In the US I do not make any advanced reservations for the scooter. I drive it to the door of the plane. It is then loaded in the baggage compartment and delivered back to he door of the plane when we arrive.

I did have to make a special reservation when we flew out of Italy. They met me at the check-in counter and placed my scooter in a giant box. The airport provided wheelchair assistance to the door of the plane, and we picked up my scooter at the baggage carousel when we arrived.

It is not legal for an airline to charge extra for medical equipment in the US, and no one mentioned anything about an additional charge in Italy. I think that the EU has disability laws similar to those in the US so I would not expect to pay extra baggage fees for them. I would, however, confirm that with whatever airline I was using.

I absolutely love traveling with my scooter. I can visit all the fun shops in the airport. I can stop at the rest room, and I can even enjoy a meal. It gives me lots of independence I never have when I am confined to using wheelchair services at the airport, so whenever possible I take it alone with me.

London, England
reviews: 64
7. Re: Traveling with scooters on flights

No, there are no charges in Europe for the carriage of scooters or wheelchairs on airlines. However, it does need to be pre-booked as they are only allowed to carry 4 disabled passengers on each flight.

Sunderland, United...
reviews: 30
8. Re: Traveling with scooters on flights

I have travelled with my small scooter on many flights and have had no trouble at this end but it's a bit hit and miss how you get it back in some overseas countries. In Crete I was left to search for it, but Egypt is really good we have been a few times with no bother. There is no charge to carry a motorised scooter or wheelcahair but it needs to be under 60kgs but if it is more they will usually take it but you need to contact the carrier in plenty of time and be prepared to answer a lot of questions about the actual aid. I believe that they have to take you with bigger vehicle but I will not say for definate I have a booklet from the Equality and Human Rights commission explaining your rights to fly.as a disabled person.Visit www,equalityhumanrights.com/airtravel I hope this is of some help.

Essex, England
9. Re: Traveling with scooters on flights

I've traveled many many times with my Pride Victory Scooter - in fact I purchased it in Florida the first time as its cheaper there than in the UK.

I've never experienced any problems with it - it weighs 70Kgs - I tell them when I'm booking and they ask me the usual questions i.e what sort of battery, what weight is it - can I walk a few steps and you're good to go.

I've taken it on BA , Virgin and Delta , and flown out of Gatwick and Heathrow and into Dallas, Chicago, Minnesota, Orlando, Atlanta and Calgary.

It makes travel super simple for me. A lot of US airports also offer accessible cabs - some you book some you don't and I've rented vehicles myself in all those places and they cant be more helpful.

Teesside
10. Re: Traveling with scooters on flights

Hi ,Can you tell me if you can go right to door of the plane or to ambulift on your scooter please.

Thanks

Reply to: Traveling with scooters on flights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted