We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice re travel insurance/heart stent/Australia to Europe

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 7
Advice re travel insurance/heart stent/Australia to Europe

My husband & I are arranging a trip for overseas July 2013.

We are flying from Australia to Dublin - driving around southern ireland for 7 days.........then a 14 night cruise to Spain, Monaco, Florence etc........5 days in London.

In 2010 my husband had a heart attack & a stent was inserted.

I have been told that it can be difficult to get insurance to cover this........don't know what to do!

I would be very grateful for any advice in this regard.

1. Re: Advice re travel insurance/heart stent/Australia to Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, October 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 7
2. Re: Advice re travel insurance/heart stent/Australia to Europe

Thank you Juveria for you reply. Yes, travel insurance does seem an area that can cause real difficulties for those who have pre existing medical conditions.

For those who are denied coverage, can also lead to a depression or anxiety if they go ahead and travel without coverage for their pre-existing medical conditions. Not to say it also affects their partners/carers etc. who would obviously not travel without them.

My husband is as healthy as I am - but he had 1 attack 3 years ago and had a stent inserted. We play golf 3-4 times a week............I now realize how hard it must be for those who have all forms of disabilities but also want to enjoy seeing the world. Life is just not fair sometimes!

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 1
3. Re: Advice re travel insurance/heart stent/Australia to Europe

Have you looked at the over 50's travel cover backed by Alianz , they do cover heart conditions , but do require some more information , docs certificate etc.( and possibly a higher premium )

http://www.over50insurance.com.au/

Perth, Australia
4. Re: Advice re travel insurance/heart stent/Australia to Europe

Hello Kazza,

If you find an insurance company can you please put it on here, as I would be very thankful. Unfortunately I am under 50, so the above insurance company is no good.

I recently had a heart attack and had angioplasty, travelling and insurance go hand in hand, and I will not leave the country unless we are insured. My husband and I love to travel and go off the beaten track, I will not let heart disease stop us from experiencing the world and all its cultures.

Have a wonderful holiday it sounds just fantastic.

Thanks

Sandra

5. Re: Advice re travel insurance/heart stent/Australia to Europe

We have had the same problem. My husband had a heart attack 2003 and had one stent inserted. He has had no trouble or side effects since. He walks 10 Kilometers every morning. He is now 73

We travelled from Australia to USA last year. After numerous phone calls to Insureres who declined to cover his condition. Suresave covered him at a cost of $1600 with a $600 excess .No claims were made.

We are going again this year but Suresave has declined to cover anything relating to his pre existing this time even though his condition has not changed since last year!!! .We tried numerous Insurances again with limitations on value, they would pay a low amount for a Cardio event which defeats the purpose of the Insurance policy. This is a nightmare for fit and healthy people with this condition to obtain Insurance. I have now found InsureandGo who have covered the condition. He took out a single gold policy covering pre existing for a total of $1432. for 38 days in USA with a $100 excess. Hopefully this policy will be ok for him.

There should be more info on the Internet regarding this topic as it must effect millions of able bodied people who don't know what to do. Happy Travels........ :)

6. Re: Advice re travel insurance/heart stent/Australia to Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 06, 2014