We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quiet resort in Spain with long promenade

U.K.
Quiet resort in Spain with long promenade

Does anyone know of a reasonably quiet resort in Spain that has a long wheelchair friendly promenade. We went to Duquessa on the Costa Del Sol last winter and it suited us well but would like a change this year.

We were tempted by Fuengirola because of the 5 miles of prom but having visited in September know that it would be just too lively. We also have a dog so needs to be dog friendly too.

We would prefer Costa Del Sol for the weather in February/March.

London, England
reviews: 65
1. Re: Quiet resort in Spain with long promenade

You could look at Matalascanas, Chiclana or Chipiona on the Costa de la Luz. Or La Herradura or Almunecar in Granada province.

We stayed in La Herradura in April and really liked it. Also has easy access to Granada and Las Alpujarras.

Edited: 6:36 am, September 15, 2012
U.K.
2. Re: Quiet resort in Spain with long promenade

Many thanks I will check these out.

Aguadulce, Spain
Destination Expert
for Almeria, Province of Almeria, Province of Almeria
reviews: 106
3. Re: Quiet resort in Spain with long promenade

Roquetas de Mar, Almeria, is totaly flat and wheelchair friendly and several of the Hotels have good facilities. The beach goes for 10km and is wheelchair accessible, with great prom. Mobility hire available.

mobility-abroad-spain.com/Roquetas-de-Mar.asp

Look at this web site for more info on the area.

http://www.unique-almeria.com/

London, England
4. Re: Quiet resort in Spain with long promenade

Roquetas does have a promenade and is flat, but I certainly wouldn't go there for a holiday. I worked there and spent one of the best times of my life in the area.

Last year I went back to visit a friend who lives in the area and was horrified. As usual, the wind was blowing a gale, but what dismayed me were all the ugly high rise apartment blocks that had been built. If it hadn't been for my fiend pointing out places to me I wouldn't have rcogied anything it has changed so much.

Also, due to the Spanish recession, so many properties were up for sale and bars, shops, restaurants etc closed down.

I certinly won't ever go back, because in addition, the surrounding countryside is extrememly ugly with all the plastic greenhouses. Would never recommend Roquestas to anyone these days, not even mworse enemy.

Aguadulce, Spain
Destination Expert
5. Re: Quiet resort in Spain with long promenade

hermanaeriza - wow, a bit strong! Due you have some sort of grudge here? the new building has taken place over decades, how many decades since you were there? Compared to the costa del sol the development is small and It is not actualy in the urbanization, which is the holiday resort area, but along Las Salinas and out the other side past Serena, by the Golf Course and has no effect at all on the main resort whatever. Did you maybe go off season? then of course some places would be closed but even if not then it is the same all over Spain, and even more obvious in the larger resorts that depend more on foreign tourists, La Crisis. Actualy Roquetas has more Spanish weekenders and holidaymakers that foreigners, what does that tell you? And it has not suffered as much as most other tourist places.

That said it is its quiet and laid back nature that attracts some people and that exactly what the OP was asking about!!

There are a few fincas just outside town, but many less that years gone by, if you were here before you should know that. Did you ever go outside town, Tabernas, Cabo De Gata, up the Sierra etc??? The surrounding country side is actualy famously some of the best countryside in Europe, several listed heritage sites and national parks, or are the U.N. and Spanish Government wrong and you are of course better informed than them? your critic is biased, inaccurate and very misleading to readers on this forum....'not my worst enemy' ----please! Your opinions seem to clash with those of anyone else that has visited the area and should not put off potential visitors.

Everone has a right to an opinion, of course, but I would ask any reader to research the truth and ignore ill informed bias.

London, England
6. Re: Quiet resort in Spain with long promenade

Vic\northampton

No, I don't have anything at all against Roquetas de Mar, in fact, if you reread my post then you will see that I'd had really enjoyed my time there. Yes, I have been many times to all the surrounding areas, but the scenery does not compare at all to other parts of Spain where it is more verdant.

Many people love Benidorm and return year after year. Again, I have worked in Benidorm, but certainly wouldn't choose it for a holiday. However, I visited Almunecar a couple of years ago and went back last year and was pleasantly surprised at how much nicer it is these days.

I know lots of Spaniards go to the area, but it doesn't make it 'nice'.

Yes, everybody is entitled to their own opinion and everyone likes different places and things, but I would feel guilty about recommending a holiday place like Roquetas de Mar to anyone when there are much nicer, aesthetically, places with flat promenades than there.

Aguadulce, Spain
Destination Expert
7. Re: Quiet resort in Spain with long promenade

hermanaeriza

##not compare at all to other parts of Spain where it is more verdant##

##would feel guilty about recommending a holiday place like Roquetas de Mar to anyone when there are much nicer, aesthetically , places ##

What you should feel guilty about is running down a place you obviously didnt see properly at all.

Verdent?????? aesthetic????

the cabo de gata national park park was declared a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve , also obtaining the Special Protection Area for Birds (SPA), Ramsar site, Site of Community Interest and, most recently Special Area of Mediterranean Interest (SPAMI). It is also part of the European GEOPARKS. It is famous for its WETLANDS, flamingos and hundreds of flora an fauna species, some of which are unique to the area,

Right next door to the golf course in Roquetas is the The Sabinar Entinas Nature Reserve it is a Special Protection Area for Birds (SPA) the area of approximately 785 hectares is also one of the WETLANDS belonging to the Ramsar Convention.

It doesnt get much more 'VERDENT' than that, its a wetland for gods sake!! Its the opinion of the experts, not just me, and its right on the Roquetas beach as well!!!!!

Did you see without actualy looking? Or are you confusing it with the Tabernas Desert, to the north. Now that isnt 'VERDENT' but it is 'aesthetically nice'. Please research what I say on the internet and you might realise the beauty that you missed by not seeing the right places.

I repeat please do not put people off comming here by opinions based on limited experiences. I have 40yrs experience of the area and see its beauty every day.

By all means make other recommendations but base it on facts

I will agree that the front at Almunecar is nice, in fact I was there only on Sunday, it was like a ghost town, but then I know that was because it is off season and no other reason, and there's been some more development there also.

London, England
8. Re: Quiet resort in Spain with long promenade

Well, if you've lived there for 40 years, you are obviously biased and probably somewhat blinkered. Therefore, I shall finish with saying we shall have to agree to disagree.

Aguadulce, Spain
Destination Expert
9. Re: Quiet resort in Spain with long promenade

hermanaeriza

##you are obviously biased and probably somewhat blinkered.##

Like I said before. wow - a bit strong.

I point out expert opinions of unesco, Ramsar and European and Spanish Govt depts and suggest you check out the facts to support what I say. In reply you resort to the above vitriolic attack. You obviously do know better than the scientific experts then!

So your opinions, with nothing to back them up, perhaps do not hold water, unlike the beautiful and 'VERDENT' wetlands to be found at Roquetas.

No I cannot agree to disagree, but will leave it to readers to research the net for the true facts for themselves, undisputed scientific fact as against mistaken fiction that is.

What did you call it 'blinkered' was it?

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
reviews: 62
10. Re: Quiet resort in Spain with long promenade

Libby,can I suggest that you have a look at La Carihuela? It has a long, flat paseo and is situated between Torremolinos and Benalmadena and the paseo goes to both towns. There are lots of lovely bars and restaurants and although lively its not as crowded as some resorts and the beach is great too.

Also, have a look on the Costa Del Sol forums for more information.

Get answers to your questions