We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

disability concession or companion cards

Liverpool, New...
disability concession or companion cards

does anyone know if i can use my australian disability concession or companion card in the uk for cheaper travel and entry admissions.If not is anyone aware of a similar scheme to assist me as i will need a companion to travel with me although i am fully mobile. thanks for any assistance.

Eastleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
reviews: 93
1. Re: disability concession or companion cards

Australian disabled parking cards are not valid for onstreet parking see fiadisabledtravellers.com/en/world_map/europ… but might be accepted by shopping centres etc.

A disabled persons railcard costs £20 per year and gives you a third of rail travel for you and companion. http://www.disabledpersons-railcard.co.uk/

You would need to check if they would accept your Australian documentation and whether the amount if rail travel you plan made it worthwhile, similarly a National Express coachcard for long distance buses is £10 nationalexpress.com/coach/Offers/disabled-co… . You would probably not be able to get a bus pass for local travel.

Discounts for admissions will depend on the policies for the individual attraction and the willingness of the cashier to accept an Australian card - I would expect most would.

Edited: 5:43 am, July 17, 2012
London, England
reviews: 59
2. Re: disability concession or companion cards

Most museums and attractions in the UK offer free or discounted entrance to disabled persons and their companion regardless of nationality. Many places have free entry anyway, but do charge for extra exhibitions.

For local travel you need to be a UK resident. I doubt very much if you would get any parking concessions as our Blue Badges are only valid within the EU.

Newcastle, New...
3. Re: disability concession or companion cards

You can probably use your Disabled Parking card in the UK and other countries - see below.

Not sure about Companion Cards.

"The FIA European Bureau undertook a worldwide survey of reciprocal parking concessions for disabled travellers in 2010. The website www.fiadisabledtravellers.com gives worldwide information on local rules for using a disabled parking card. It also gives information about any reciprocal arrangements for blue badge holders visiting another country."

London, England
4. Re: disability concession or companion cards

Greg K

Thank you, that is useful information.

5. Re: disability concession or companion cards

Where can I get one

London, England
6. Re: disability concession or companion cards

From your local council if you are eligible, look on their website.

7. Re: disability concession or companion cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 14, 2013