We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

European city by wheelchair

Detroit
reviews: 7
European city by wheelchair

Hello, we will be stopping in Europe for three days in October. Can anyone recommend a city where it's not too difficult to push someone around in a wheelchair, that would also make for a pleasant tourist visit. We are thinking about Brussels, Milan, Lisbon, Geneva, Berlin and other cities in Germany. Any thoughts? Thank you!

San Francisco...
reviews: 14
1. Re: European city by wheelchair

We were in Paris in 2008 with my wife in wheelchair. Most tourist attractions are in flat areas. Key was being centrally located so we could walk to museums. We used cabs for longer distances. Museums are no charge to people in wheelchairs, and had ways of accommodating accessible limitations.

Several years earlier we were in Rome. Parts are hilly, but we managed. Colosseum, Forum and Vatican were accessible and in flat areas of the city. Issue in Rome is cobblestone streets; it's very bumpy to the wheelchair occupant. Again, cabs are available for longer excursions.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
reviews: 100
2. Re: European city by wheelchair

All European cities will have some flat and some hilly areas and a mixture of areas with good access and others poor so it is unwise to discount an entire city.

Unfortunately many of the major tourist attractions were built hundreds of years ago before wheelchair access was a consideration and when building on hilltops was a strategic advantage. It is obviously impossible to make all areas of ancient monuments fully accessible without destroying their character but it is normally possible to access the major areas and I will sometimes leave my wife on the lower levels while I venture up a tower to take pictures.

Usually where there is a will there is a way!

London, England
reviews: 64
3. Re: European city by wheelchair

The centre of major European cities are reasonably accessible, but not all. Lisbon is hilly and has mosaic type tiling on the pavements which are very slippery when wet and not good for wheelchairs.

I have just come back from 6 days inRome and we took a wheelchair, but I don't normally use one at home. We found Rome to be one of the most inaccessible places. The cobblestones are very difficult to push a wheelchair on and the wheels continually got stuck. One day the tyre came off one of the wheels. We managed to use public transport and found the Italians very helpful and I was always offered a seat to sit down no matter how crowded the bus or tram was. Londoners - please take note!

As already mentioned, most European museums and attractions offer free or discounted entrance to a disabled person and their carers.

I think you need to be more specific as to where you want to visit then you can get better information.

Detroit
4. Re: European city by wheelchair

thank you!

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 53
5. Re: European city by wheelchair

Milan is pretty flat as it is criss-crossed with canals. I just don't know about access to trains etc. personally

However, the city puts out some good info about accessibility to sights

www.milanopertutti.it/home.asp…

and for information on buses, trains that are accessible

www.milanopertutti.it/paginainterna.asp…

Detroit
6. Re: European city by wheelchair

thank you!

UK
reviews: 197
7. Re: European city by wheelchair

There may be problems in Paris with the Metro in some areas, as there are some accessible areas but I wouldn't rely on it and from what I experienced when it was on the new accessible line you wouldn't have a problem but the older stations and trains you could have a real problem.

Detroit
8. Re: European city by wheelchair

thank you!

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 53
9. Re: European city by wheelchair

I wouldn't attempt the Metro in most of Paris. There are steps everywhere but the latest, accessible line.

However, most buses "kneel" and have places for wheelchairs inside.

London, England
reviews: 64
10. Re: European city by wheelchair

The OP hasn't said they want to go to Paris. They've asked for suggestions of accessible cities.

Madrid and Barcelona are accessible, as is London. However, it would be much more helpful to have an idea which city as a generalisation is very difficult.