We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheelchair user going by car ferry to Engand

Galway
reviews: 13
Wheelchair user going by car ferry to Engand

I will be visiting GM Coachwork in Teign Valley, Trusham, Devon Engalnd with my husband who is in a wheelchair..We thought we would travel by car / ferry from Roslaire, Ireland to Fishguard and drive down to Devon....

We have never used the ferry before and are not sure how wheelchair accessible it is also does anyone know any good accessible accommodation in this area of Devon..

All suggestions would be extremely grateful...

Thanks,

Joan

Teesside
reviews: 1
1. Re: Wheelchair user going by car ferry to Engand

Hi Joan, not sure about ferries but accomodation wise you can look on holidaylettings.co.uk/…103 . put in England & then west country and then Devon. Scroll to the bottom and tick wheelchair accessible. I have used this site before as I use a wheelchair. Maybe you could phone the ferry and ask the questions you need answering.

Edited: 11:29 am, July 08, 2012
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 69
2. Re: Wheelchair user going by car ferry to Engand

Hi Joan;

FYI...Holiday Lettings is a sister site of TripAdvisor.

Best Regards

Eastleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
reviews: 93
3. Re: Wheelchair user going by car ferry to Engand

You should contact the ferry company to ensure they are aware of your accessibility needs.

They will give you special check in instructions which will ensure that your car is parked close to the lifts to the passenger decks.

I haven't used the Fishguard route but we had no problems on other routes but the exact details will depend on the ships you sail on.

Ask on the Devon forums for advice about accommodation tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g186250-i623-Devon…

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
4. Re: Wheelchair user going by car ferry to Engand

Like mymsman I've never sailed to Ireland, but on cross-channel routes the vital thing to do is to let the ferry company know one of the pax is in a wheelchair, then remind them at check-in. You ought to get special instructions (disabled symbol on the sign to hang from your rear-view mirror, drive on board with your hazard flashers going) then they'll park you as close as possible to the lifts. Upstairs, you should be OK with room to move about and disabled loos.

Um, I went on line and got this info - not a huge amount of detail, but I hope you'll be assured by the fact that some effort is being made.

Rosslare Europort is situated at the end of the N25 in Rosslare Harbour. Rosslare Harbour along with ferry symbols can be found on all road signs leading to the port. The port is 20 mins from Wexford town, 1 hr 20 mins from Waterford city, 1 hr 45 mins from Kilkenny city, 2 hrs 15 mins from Dublin & 3 hrs from Cork. Rosslare harbour is a small village, with a supermarket, bank, hotels, guesthouses, pubs and restaurants.

Port Facilities

• Tickets and reservations facilities

• Disabled toilets and baby changing facilities

• Refreshments area

• Short/long term parking facilities (payable)

• Motorist lounge with TV screens

• Budget Car rental desk

• Pay phones

• Assistance for disabled passengers

Fishguard Harbour provides crossings to Rosslare with the Superferry Stena Europe providing two daily crossing all year round.

Port Facilities

• Tickets and reservations facilities

• Disabled toilets and baby changing facilities

• Coffee shop

• Short/long term parking facilities (payable)

• Motorist lounge with TV screens

• Children’s play area

• Pay phones

• Assistance for disabled passengers

Galway
reviews: 13
5. Re: Wheelchair user going by car ferry to Engand

Thanks a million for all that info, I really appreciate all the work you put into it.

I have only traveled on small ferrys and the cars were very squeezed in so I was worried about getting my husband out of the car.

I will definetly be talking to the Ferry Company before I go.

Thanks again,

Joan.....

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
6. Re: Wheelchair user going by car ferry to Engand

Don't worry - the car deck staff will not rush you along, they'll make it clear where to drive and exactly where to park and typically there will be enough room on both sides to open your car doors and get hubby into his chair/the chair to the lift and up.

7. Re: Wheelchair user going by car ferry to Engand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, July 12, 2013