We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheelchair access around Barcelona

Belfast, United...
Wheelchair access around Barcelona

Can anyone tell me how good / not so good wheelchair access really is in and around Barcelona - I am travelling there in early September with my elderly mother who needs a wheelchair to get around - The hotel I am staying in is ok but what about the streets / kerbs / shops / bars & restaurants - Any info. would help.

Teesside
reviews: 1
1. Re: Wheelchair access around Barcelona

I also use a wheelchair and me and my husband went to Barcelona for a day while staying in Salou and found there was dropped Kerbs .The restaurant we ate at was one in the Placa Real and we ate outside so dont really know about restaurants but if its like other Spanish towns and resorts there will be some you can use, as a lot have ramps as will some of the shops and bars.

Belfast, United...
2. Re: Wheelchair access around Barcelona

Thank-you for this information - Iam just worried in case its like Sorrento we went to two years ago and it was a nightmare - it was in no way wheelchair accessible but we live in hope!!

Teesside
reviews: 1
3. Re: Wheelchair access around Barcelona

Hi Padraig ,

. i have found this on a google search for you . I hope it helps to put your mind at rest barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/transport/dis…

Edited: 7:25 am, July 06, 2012
Glasgow
reviews: 4
4. Re: Wheelchair access around Barcelona

We spent a week in Barcelona. My sister uses a wheelchair and we found it very good. Dropped curbs most of the usual places. The tourist bus is excellant. A ramp comes down and driver helps you on. There are 3 different routes to take you to most places. You can get on and off at diff stops and buy 1 day to a weeks pass. Didnt use subway as some stops didnt have lifts.

We also visited;- .disableld friendly

Opera House (something musica) - well worth a visit

Harbour area

Fruit Market

Picasso museum

Sealife centre

The Church (big one)

Macdonalds near the square has a lift.

Lovely restaurants at the harbour

The only place that was a bit steep was at the Cathedral at the front.

Have fun

Deb

Belfast, United...
5. Re: Wheelchair access around Barcelona

Many thanks - great to know all this before we go - looking forward to using the tourist bus!

London, England
reviews: 60
6. Re: Wheelchair access around Barcelona

Spain is reasonably disabled friendly with many cities having dropped kerbs. Quite a lot of restauarants these days have disabled toilet facilities and lots of bars/restaurants have ramps. You will also find the local people willing to help.

I have just returned from 6 days in Rome which must be the least disabled friendly city in Europe. I am sure there must be some kind of EU legislation, but being Italy, nobody takes any notice.

Belfast, United...
7. Re: Wheelchair access around Barcelona

Thankyou for your update - I must agree with you re Italy - As I mentioned in a previous update we were in Sorrento two years ago and it seemed like OUTSIDE OF OUR BRILLIANT HOTEL the Italians had never heard the words "wheelchair friendly / disabled friendly".

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 48
8. Re: Wheelchair access around Barcelona

All the metros seem to be accessible via elevator.

Spain was the country for the Salamanca Statement in 2004 which defined the rights of the disabled to equal education, and it really seems to have taken the issue of disability to heart. We noticed that it was particularly wheelchair friendly in many places.

wigan
reviews: 19
9. Re: Wheelchair access around Barcelona

I use a wheelchair & have been to Barcelona many times, it is one of the best European cities for accessibility. Most restaurants will accomodate you but not many have accessible toilets, I have found Corte Inglese useful for toilet stops.

I have only used the metro to go up Mont Juic but this was fine, I think we had to check we were in a w/c designated car to ensure we didn't have steps at the top. (Its a while ago & I can't quite remember exactly)

Hope you go & have a good time.

10. Re: Wheelchair access around Barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, August 20, 2013