We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flat Resorts in Spain

Bolton, United...
reviews: 74
Flat Resorts in Spain

There are lots of web sites ref to disabled access hotels, but I can't find one that has any info on the flatness of Spanish resorts.

ie long promenade, no hills etc .

London, England
reviews: 60
11. Re: Flat Resorts in Spain

Margaret

Look up som of the resorts on the internet, or read the various forums on Tripadvisor and get an idea where you may like. Then, if I know the resort I can give you some advice. If not, then I'm sure someone else can.

I like Ibiza out of season, but Es Cana and Santa Eulalia are not too bad in the summer. Last year my partner and I stayed in the Hotel Bellamar in San Antonio in May, so no rowdy people around. It's a nice hotel and has a flat promenade into the centre.

Limerick, Ireland
reviews: 5
12. Re: Flat Resorts in Spain

Spent a week in Almunecar which is a small resort about 1 hour north of Malaga last year. My husband is a wheelchair user and the playa cristobel (think that is what it was called)area was all fantastically well planned for access. Lots of nice restaurants and places to relax

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 5
13. Re: Flat Resorts in Spain

We've been to Nerja twice now and it's pretty good for mobility scooters and wheelchairs. The old town is small, flat and pedestrianised in the parts where the shops, restaurants and bars are. The ideal spot to stay is in or very close to the Balcon Europa Hotel or any accomodation along the Carabeo stretch. The Hotel itself is fairly accessible with a lift down to their own beach front (steps down to the actual beach but there are sunbeds up on the platform before the steps so you don't HAVE to go on the beach). No young and rowdy partygoers for those of us who have left those days behind but some nice bars and restaurants. Further along are various apartment complexes such as Riu Monica leading down to a prom but it's pretty steep going down to the prom so we gave it a miss and stayed around the old town. That end of town is not as accessible if you're on wheels due to the slopes.

Aguadulce, Spain
Destination Expert
for Almeria, Province of Almeria, Province of Almeria
reviews: 82
14. Re: Flat Resorts in Spain

Roquetas de Mar, Almeria, is totaly flat and wheelchair friendly and several of the Hotels have good facilities. The beach goes for 10km and is wheelchair accessible, with great prom. Mobility hire available.

mobility-abroad-spain.com/Roquetas-de-Mar.asp

Look at this web site for more info on the area.

http://www.unique-almeria.com/

Dunfermline
15. Re: Flat Resorts in Spain

To Vicnorthampto.

Thanks for your comments on Roquetas De Mar.Have you been there very recently?Or do you liive there? I have been told by several people on thi

s forum that the recession has had a very bad effect on this resort and that it is ery run down.And,I am not sure what the climate is like. Some people think it is too windy and dry.

Aguadulce, Spain
Destination Expert
16. Re: Flat Resorts in Spain

Margaret.

I live in Aguadulce, 10Km along the coast. Tourism figures are down throughout Spain due to 'La Crisis' but no more here than anywhere else in Spain. Roquetas is in fact used by many spanish people, the most numerous of the tourists here, and as they do not have to fly to get here they still keep comming. If you think of a chinese restauraunt and see 70% of the diners are themselves enjoying the chinese food then you know the food is good. Similar effect here, Spanish enjoying a Spanish resort. There is an micro climate here, protected by the Sierras behind us and a huge bay to the front, means that this coast has the highest sunshine hours and lowest rainfall than anywhere else on the Med. It makes for winter sunshine to rival the Canary islands. Behind us, up in the Sierras, is the Tabernas Desert the only registered desert in Europe. Yes its dry up there but not on the coastal strip that has plenty of run off water from the mountains, making it a very fertile crop farming area.

The Cabo de Gata national park, just along the coast, was declared a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve , also obtaining the Special Protection Area for Birds (SPA), Ramsar site, Site of Community Interest and, most recently Special Area of Mediterranean Interest (SPAMI). It is also part of the European GEOPARKS. It is famous for its WETLANDS, flamingos and hundreds of flora and fauna species, some of which are unique to the area,

Right next door to the golf course in Roquetas is the The Sabinar Entinas Nature Reserve it is a Special Protection Area for Birds (SPA) the area of approximately 785 hectares is also one of the wetlands belonging to the Ramsar Convention.

Not too dry for wetlands you see.

Las Salinas is a beach to one side of Roquetas, exposed to prevailing winds at the head of the peninsular and a favorite for wind-surfers, not the main beach at the urbanisation (resort) part of the town which is great. The palm tree lined promenade stretches for the full distance to Aguadulce, over 10KM, with childrens playgrounds build on the beach, lifegaurds, facilities for disabled access to the beach, a seperate cycle path to avoid the bikes and skaters, and numerous beach restaurants and bars.

In August there is however a Sirocco wind that comes straight accross from Africa, making it hotter, drier and windy for a few weeks only.

So avoid August and the wind isnt a problem.

I suspect that people commenting on windy and dry in forums have only been here in August and that is where thier knowlege of the area ends.

That is why I always suggest taking the views of TA destination experts or local residents to balance out the oft slanted views of one time visitors.

If you go onto the Almeria Costa forum you will see two of the TA DEs up and to the right of the screen, who I am sure will agree with my viewpoint and would have no objection to you contacting them direct by I.M. to give any further advice.

Vic

Dunfermline
17. Re: Flat Resorts in Spain

Vic

Thanks. Very helpful.I would not go to Spain in high summer anyway,too hot for me.i'll keep your comments in mind,as the terrain sounds perfect for a mobility scooter,and I will go to the Almeria forum.

Aguadulce, Spain
Destination Expert
18. Re: Flat Resorts in Spain

You are very welcome and wherever you decide to go happy holidays.

Vic.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
reviews: 50
19. Re: Flat Resorts in Spain

Margaret, also have a look at La Carihuela, in between Torremolinos and Benalmadena. There is a long flat promenade that runs from Torremolinos to Benamladena through La Carihuela.

Dunfermline
20. Re: Flat Resorts in Spain

Thanks.I know that area ,but I do not like it much,although it is many years since I was there.My holiday is on hold at present, so it may be a late summer one.Thank you again