We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A holiday destination for a 22 year old wheelchair bound man

Bridgwater, United...
reviews: 2
A holiday destination for a 22 year old wheelchair bound man

I am looking for an ideal holiday destination for my brother-in-law and his wife. They are both 22 yrs old and he had extensive back surgery last year, leaving him paralysed from the waist down. They both need a relaxing and sunny break. Does anyone know of a good hotel in a sunny region of Europe with good disabled access? Preferrably not in a crazy busy resort.. am thinking more quiet, beautiful area with good food and stanard of cleanliness. Many many thanks!

Teesside
reviews: 1
1. Re: A holiday destination for a 22 year old wheelchair bound man

hi gillygirl,

Here is a website that deals in holidays for disabled. You dont have to book with them if you dont want but it will give you hotels etc that are suitable. http://www.disabledaccessholidays.com/ If you book with an ordinary travel company make sure they understand all your needs...ie ambilift to aircraft and roll in showers in the hotel. I hope this helps your brother in law and his wife have a good holiday . I use a wheelchair myself, although I can walk a little I still need the above facilities.

London, England
reviews: 61
2. Re: A holiday destination for a 22 year old wheelchair bound man

I know you said you don't want busy, but many of the Spanish resorts are suitable for wheelchair bound visitors.

However, I would suggest you decide where you want to go and then put your questions on the relative forum.

Harrogate, United...
reviews: 2
3. Re: A holiday destination for a 22 year old wheelchair bound man

hi gillygirl

the way I sort out our holiday is by looking at the hotels on disabled acess holiday web site, also on www.enableholidays.com, as partner is a full-time wheelchair user and I need to know the facilities available at the hotels eg bed height for transfering, toilet height again for transfering also roll-in showers once I have found the hotels with these facilities then I can short list them and choose the country we wish to go to,also bear in mind the length of flight as not all planes have accessable toilets on them. like Serenauk says if booking at a travel agent make sure they fully understand what you need, hotel transfers are nearly always by coach so don't forget you will need to sort this as well (be cheeky here and ask for a discount on the taxi as you aren't using the coach which is included in the price) lastly don't forget it's the wife's holiday as well the easier it is for your brother-in-law the more she will enjoy her time away. hope you get sorted and they both enjoy their time away

kent
reviews: 15
4. Re: A holiday destination for a 22 year old wheelchair bound man

I have a lady who works for me who is wheelchair bound and we have access to various hotels that gives us all the details of the hotels and how accessible they are. I know we tailormade her holiday and it came up a lot cheaper using the same hotels etc. I really annoys me to think these companies charge over the top just because someone is less abled. We arranged ambulift, hire of scooter, etcetc if you need any help let me know.

Kim

Huddersfield...
5. Re: A holiday destination for a 22 year old wheelchair bound man

I am disabled myself and my son is wheelchair bound, we went to the algarve in portugal in a villa, website casaouricadomar with a beautiful swimming pool with hoist and completely disabled friendly honestly could not of wished for a more relaxing holiday in beautiful scenery, please take a look and if you do book tell Simon and Denise that Susan and Kevin recommended them

Chicago, Illinois
6. Re: A holiday destination for a 22 year old wheelchair bound man

Hope a speedy recovery and a pleasant journey!

Albuquerque, New...
reviews: 31
7. Re: A holiday destination for a 22 year old wheelchair bound man

Sorry, this is not an answer, but another question. SerenaUK posted a website (http://www.disabledaccessholidays.com/). Would anybody know a site similar in the USA? Many thanks in advance.

8. Re: A holiday destination for a 22 year old wheelchair bound man

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 20, 2013