We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petra ,Jordan

Barrow-in-Furness...
reviews: 1
Petra ,Jordan

I can walk for short distances but need to use a manual wheelchair. I would dearly love to see Petra but am unsure if it is accessible for me from Aqaba

London, England
reviews: 61
1. Re: Petra ,Jordan

Petra is one of the plaxes I have always wanted to visit. Unfortunately, I now have bad arthritis. I can also walk short distances, but then need to sit down or use a wheelchair.

I have done some research in the past and come to the conclusion I wouldn't be able to manage it.

by all accounts you can take a horse and carriage along the Siq to reach the monuments. There are donkeys that take you up to the top of the monument area, but not down.

My friends visited in 2011 and knowing my capabilities said it was not for me.

I would put your question on the Petra Forum as you will probably get some answers.

However, I have been to Luxor, Egypt twice and managed all the sites there.

Barrow-in-Furness...
2. Re: Petra ,Jordan

Many thanks for your reply I have looked extensively myself at the tours but feel they are not suitable

London, England
3. Re: Petra ,Jordan

You could also contact one of the Jordan Tourist Offices. They should be able to give you information.

4. Re: Petra ,Jordan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:42 am, January 30, 2012
London, England
5. Re: Petra ,Jordan

Considering the holiday does not include flights I think the prices are outrageous. I am sure it can be done a lot cheaper by arranging it independently.

The local people in the Middle East are always very willing to help, so by contacting a local agency it could be arranged much more economically. I think this is somebody taking advantage of people with disabilities.

Cumbria
6. Re: Petra ,Jordan

I'm also thinkimng about a visit to Petra early next year and although I'm not considered disabled I do have arthritis in my ankles and cannot walk far. All the same I think I could manage a donkey ride to the top and (given time) could hobble down again.

I found a company called Shoestring (I think thats the name) who seem much more reasonable. They also do trips from Manchester which is my nearest airport, and they have one starting in Feb. I am trying to arrange leave from work and will let you know how I get on.

London, England
7. Re: Petra ,Jordan

Bbarb

If you do visit Petra it would be useful to hear your views. I find that generally able bodied people, although often meaning well, have no idea how distances, obstacles etc are for anyone with a walking difficulty.

West Columbia, Texas
reviews: 92
8. Re: Petra ,Jordan

Were you able to get a suitable answer to visit Petra given your limited walking ability? We have the same issue at our house. If a horse and buggy are available, we have no problem using that conveyence. I would like to hear from anyone about transport. We arrive by ship.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
9. Re: Petra ,Jordan

see tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g318895-i8977-k3… and …wordpress.com/2008/…

West Columbia, Texas
reviews: 92
10. Re: Petra ,Jordan

Great that you have been there twice so I can really trust your judgment. The cruise ship info does not say where we will be dropped. My hope is there iis some conveyance from the drop point to the ruins. We are unable to walk one block. We get around terribly slow nevertheless we just returned from a Quark Expedition to Antarctica.. We boarded the Zodiacs and went ashore. We can do lots of things, but we need help. My husband is 81 and I am 71 and we are slow but that doesn't stop us from trying everything. Do you know if there is a horse and carriage that goes into the ruins? I have seen references to carriages but no definitative info. BTW, the references are usually "what not to do" but our circumstances are such that we will try most any ride but not a donkey or camel! We would fall off! Many, many thanks for any advice you can offer.