We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobility Scooter - check through or check at gate?

Northwest Michigan
reviews: 17
Mobility Scooter - check through or check at gate?

Have rented mobility scooter for hubby in the past and we now purchased one. Previously, we had a wheelchair meet us at the airline gate to provide him transportation between gates, baggage, etc. We will be traveling to Vegas in March 2012 and are trying to decide if we want to check his scooter through to Vegas or check it at the gate.

Taking into consideration that attendant with wheelchair knows the fastest route between gates, we can see the benefit of simply checking the scooter through to Vegas. But at the same time, we are concerned about the scooter being damaged in transit and think that checking it at the gate would be best for it so it will not be banged around on the luggage carts etc. We are also considering a mixture of both. Have wheelchair for hubby so we can benefit from the attendant's knowledge, and me use the scooter to keep up with the long-legged attendants who seem to walk a mile a minute. There are advantages and disadvantages to all of the scenerios.

If you have any info to share with us about traveling with your scooter via air, we would GREATLY appreciate you sharing with us. This is a new experience for us.

THANKS for ANY input you can give us.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 206
21. Re: Mobility Scooter - check through or check at gate?

My scooter is very small, and I am very large, but I have never had a problem with inclines in any airport I used.

I did, however, have an bad experience last month with my husband's scooter. We try to sit on the side of the plane where we can watch our scooters. Leaving Atlanta for Orlando we saw the luggage crew drop my husband's scooter from the gate of the plane to the tarmac. We immediately contacted the flight attendants.

When we arrived in Orlando we were met by the airport wheelchair staff and two representatives from Delta. This was impressive because it was well after mid-night when we arrived. They put my husband in a wheelchair and helped us collect our luggage. They sent the scooter to a repair facility, and offered to rent a substitute for my husband until his scooter was repaired. It took them 36 hours to fix it, and it was then delivered directly to our doorstep, and we live 40 miles from the airport.

I do not know if every airline takes such good care of disabled passengers as Delta, but Delta gets an A+ in my book.

Dunedin, Florida
reviews: 7
22. Re: Mobility Scooter - check through or check at gate?

hi there, my scooter went from barcelona,to zurich to chicago to tampa, perfectly. they really know how to do this. my suictase tho had a broken lock.hope this helps

Edited: 6:37 pm, January 30, 2012
alabama
reviews: 1
23. Re: Mobility Scooter - check through or check at gate?

another questionj what kind of scooter do you have...is it hard once you get into these countries..im looking at one that I can take apart in 4 pieces and put in a trunk. sorry to say I am over weight and cant get the real small on

Columbus, GA
reviews: 73
24. Re: Mobility Scooter - check through or check at gate?

Mich2too,

Can you give an update to your experience in travelling to Vegas and how you handled the scooter situation. Any suggestions from your experience on this trip?

Thanks

25. Re: Mobility Scooter - check through or check at gate?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 03, 2013