We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling whilst on Warfarin (blood thinners)

Hobart, Oklahoma
reviews: 4
Travelling whilst on Warfarin (blood thinners)

Hi,

We are planning to travel to Europe 1 June 2011, however I am on life long Warfarin therapy. Would be interested to hear from persons in Australia who have undertaken long haul flights, how they regulated the need to take 24 hourly, the effect (if any) air travel has on INR levels etc. I am unable to utilise the self monitoring 'gadget' due to having the Lupus anticoagulent, anticaridiolipin antibodies and APS along with several other components of Connective Tissue disease. Any experiences/advice would be greatly appreciated - with thanks - Marie

124 replies to this topic
Chesterfield...
reviews: 75
71. Re: Travelling whilst on Warfarin (blood thinners)

Hi Brian

So far not stopped me doing much the worse thing is I LOVE Broccoli (the real stuff not the Calabrese supermarkets tell you is ) and Grapefruit

But before I got hit with Pancreatitis I used Mountain bike almost everywhere I was an Advanced Open Water Scuba Diver and did an awful lot of Fishing everywhere we went.

OK I'm in my 50's but have been on Warfarin over ten years the initial first few weeks are the worse until they get you stable but once you are then it's fine. The worse thing is on a cruise if you are ill they WILL send you shoreside to hospital whether you like it or not (Been on one cruise with P&O didn't finish it - ended up in hospital in Cozumel after a dive incident - not stopped me diving until now )

We use for non caravan vacations All Clear or Atlas but both are not nice for Pancratitis sufferers but AF sufferers not too bad

Gray

72. Re: Travelling whilst on Warfarin (blood thinners)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 am, April 14, 2013

Ipswich, United...
reviews: 10
73. Re: Travelling whilst on Warfarin (blood thinners)

Hi

My mum has just recently been taking warfarin and her levels are not stable yet. We planned a holiday to Greece some time ago and we fly next Sunday. It looks like she may need to be tested while we are away. How do we arrange for a blood test to be done? Do we need to speak to her holiday insurers to organise where it should take place? Do we wait for the results then ring her hospital in England? So many questions!

Can anybody offer any advise please.

Thank you

Susan

Sydney, New South...
reviews: 16
74. Re: Travelling whilst on Warfarin (blood thinners)

Hi Susan,

I don't know about Greece but it may depend on how often your mum has her INR and how long your going.....if your going for a week then get it done the day before and then on return. If longer you may have to try the British General consulate in Greece and ask if there is a forgein hospital ...usually American run where mum could go. You probably will have to pay up front and if your insurers are like in Oz then no they won't cover you.

You then call you GP with the results for advice....

Another factor is how much her INR is up and down...

Speak with her GP straight away....make an appointment today as it maybe be simpler then you think. You can also buy your own tester just ask your GP.

I've travelled for 20 years on Warfarin and now Aspirin as well but it's all about timing my INR. Its not as bad as you think just be careful and no bunge jumping for mum.

Mercy

Edited: 7:32 am, June 06, 2013
Sydney, Australia
75. Re: Travelling whilst on Warfarin (blood thinners)

Please, please, please can anyone tell me where in Australia I can get Travel insurance for a husband on Warfarin - preferably one that I can afford (the insurance, not the husband!). I don't understand the exclusion of ALL medical conditions which seems to exclude even accident or injury - is this correct? Thanks for any help - we are desperate.

Jimsden

Sydney, New South...
76. Re: Travelling whilst on Warfarin (blood thinners)

Hi Jimsen,

Unfortunately you may not get anyone too but please don't stop trying. I have been on warfarin for 22 years and haven't been able to as of yet get any insurance that will cover my pre-existing condition in Australia.. I cannot say about other countries whether you can or cannot.

I travel knowing that should I get sick with my illness that requires me to take warfarin I'm up for the hospital bill, but I take every precaution whilst I am away with TED stockings and inject Clexane before and after the flight. (See previous posts about traveling on the plane).

It also depends where you are travelling to as other commonwealth countries have medicare agreements eg if you are in the UK the NHS will cover you and for a Brit in Oz then Medicare will cover the costs. BUT you would have to investigate this further with Medicare.

I say please keep trying......and let me know.

I'm off to Tokyo in two weeks......my medical insurance will cover me if I fall over and break a leg but not if I get a blood clot. If you do get insurance make sure that you are clear what they will and what they won't cover.

All the best,

Mercy

Sydney, New South...
77. Re: Travelling whilst on Warfarin (blood thinners)

Jimsen it would be only fair to mention I am 42 years old so the body's only half stuffed.....I realise that an older person has more to consider than myself...I'm going to travel whilst I'm well enough to look after myself....

Good Luck

Mercy

PS -- cruising is even more difficult as you are talking about international waters laws etc.

Edited: 3:20 am, August 16, 2013
UK
78. Re: Travelling whilst on Warfarin (blood thinners)

Have you tried www.world-first.co.uk

I have a whole gamut of medical conditions to contend with including my blood condition factor V leiden, but I can get yearly travel insurance with them for £146! That's including the USA (we're going to Las Vegas)

It is quite scary when you go on sites like compare the market . com and other comparison sites. The cheapest there was £450. It really pays to do your own searchign even though it feels like it takes forever.

I'm not one to recommend businesses but I have used this company on a number of occasions and they are always helpful. Thankfully *touching wood* I have never had to claim, but I doubt there would be an issue.

79. Re: Travelling whilst on Warfarin (blood thinners)

Does anybody know the cost of a warfarin test would cost in the United States ?. As a UK citizen could I get it done for free anywhere or would it have to go on my travel insurance ?

Chesterfield...
reviews: 75
80. Re: Travelling whilst on Warfarin (blood thinners)

A visit to Google was SCARY

the website I checked says DO NOT go to the hospital as it will cost a LARGE amount

they say get a doctor's referral then go to a medical lab for the test as it would be cheaper. The average cost of a visit to the doctor varies from about $90 to $235. and the cost of the INR test is about $20.

Reply to: Travelling whilst on Warfarin (blood thinners)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted