We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LHR to NZ, limited walking ability.

colchester
Destination Expert
for Agadir
reviews: 29
LHR to NZ, limited walking ability.

Hi All,

My 84 year old Dad is looking to go to New Zealand this Autumn, currently considering AirNZ via Hong Kong (airline have advised us not to use the LA route).

Does anyone have any experience of the ability assist programme of this airline, either at Heathrow or in New Zealand. I ask as I find the marathan walks at UK airports a little excessive, and I know groundstar/virgin do have assistance available at other airports.

Haven't used heathrow though, so would like to pick the brains of others.

Thanks,

Jaycine

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 69
1. Re: LHR to NZ, limited walking ability.

Hi Jaycine;

I would suggest posting your question on the air travel forum as well.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ForumHome

Best Regards

Gig Harbor...
reviews: 111
2. Re: LHR to NZ, limited walking ability.

Thie is a link to Heathrow Special Assistance web page - if the link doesn't take properle, the left sidebar has the "Special Assistance" 'button'

http://www.heathrowairport.com/portal/page/Heathrow%5EGeneral%5EAirport+information%5ESpecial+assistance/ead35643e4744010VgnVCM10000036821c0a____/448c6a4c7f1b0010VgnVCM200000357e120a____/

I hope there is something there to answer your question. Frequently the information is re-directed to your airlines, as each has their own way of doing things. It has been my experience that each airline has a team of their own assistance personnel - but the suggestion to query Air Travel Forum is a good idea.

colchester
Destination Expert
for Agadir
3. Re: LHR to NZ, limited walking ability.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tip to post on 'air travel', have already had several replies.

Thanks for the link to heathrow assistance, I will try this once all details of trip are finalised.

Once again my sincere thanks for your help.

Jaycine

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 69
4. Re: LHR to NZ, limited walking ability.

You're Welcome !

Southern California
reviews: 13
5. Re: LHR to NZ, limited walking ability.

Auckland airport is totally accessible. New Zealand is the most accessible country in the world, even the South Island.

I flew Quantas from LAX to AUK & they were wonderful.

Avoid LAX... and I live here.

TSA personnel at LAX abandoned me prior to an LAX to Bangkok flight, requiring me to board 2 unramped airport buses that drove us across the runways to a distant gate.

My poor husband had to move our carry-on bags & lift the empty wheelchair onto the bus (twice), then carry me onto the bus (twice) while the very short, obese, inept TSA female worker stood by & watched. The driver of the 2nd bus refused to help my husband get me off of the bus (I weigh 115 lb.)... all the other passengers got off the unramped bus & walked up the ramp to the Thai Airways flight.

Thai Airways boards 30 min. before the flight, and I was terrified they'd lock the door before we got off the bus into the wheelchair & up the ramp.

I'd called Thai Airways at least 10x in preceding days, weeks & months, the fault was the airline & the TSA for hiring a woman who was physically unable to assist nor interested to call for additional help on her walkie-talkie.

colchester
Destination Expert
for Agadir
6. Re: LHR to NZ, limited walking ability.

I spoke to customer services with Air NZ prior to booking, as there website steers the over 75's away from routing via LAX.

They basically told me that it would be torture even if just disembarking for transit.

Ironically, Dad's return flight has been cancelled, and they then asked us if we wanted to re-route via LAX as there was no HK flight left that day.

Having spoken to them, thet have moved Dad to the previous day (which was a much dearer flight) at no extra cost. The extra day didn't matter to dad.

I just hope that there are no probs, but they assure me he has allocated helpers with him, even during the 4 hour layover at Auckland on the way back.

Thanks for the info,

Jaycine

7. Re: LHR to NZ, limited walking ability.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:22 am, November 29, 2009