We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Carrier Access Update

Gig Harbor...
reviews: 100
Air Carrier Access Update

On May 13th the Department of Transportation will begin implementation of Amendments made to the Air Carrier Access Act of 1986 -- long time coming, but it has some very good changes that will benefit the Traveler with Disabilities.

Air Carrier Access Act of 1986 (ACAA) and it’s implementing regulation, 14 CFR Part 382 (Part 382) which will be effective May 13, 2009

Until the DOT publishes these amendments I will post a link to a webcast or transcript of same where the details are spelled out.

Short highlights include:

* The amendments hold certain application to U.S. and foreign air carriers -

* Accessibility of airports as well as changes in airport services including reservations, facilities, in-flight and aircraft acquisitions

* Specific changes that affect passengers who utilize respiratory assistance devices, as well as passengers who are deaf or hard of hearing.

* Changes to the timeframe and possible requirement of advanced notice by some U.S. Carriers for certain accommodations (in addition to those items currently allowed) Previously notice of 48 hours was required for certain requests and services - this time frame is being changed to 24hours

In addition there are changes being made to better accommodate persons traveling with assistance animals.

ilru.org/html/…abstract.html

As soon as I get a page from DOT I will post immediately.

Gig Harbor...
reviews: 100
1. Re: Air Carrier Access Update

Here is the link to the new rules.

airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/rules/rules.htm

Southern California
reviews: 13
2. Re: Air Carrier Access Update

We had a terrible time with Thai Airways & Bangkok Airways getting them to understand that I HAD to have a bulkhead seat, so that my husband could life me OUT of the seat, as I am unable to lift myself out from a low seat due to weak leg muscles.

I had to BEG at the airport check-in, while I sat in the wheelchair

at a number of check-ins.

They kept offering us aisle seats further back, not understanding that there was no room for my 6'3" husband to lift me UP.

For 3 months prior to our flight, I called & emailed both airlines, requesting bulkhead seats on local (Thai & Cambodia) flights, but

was told that 'no seats could be assigned in advance & a bulkhead seat is no problem for you at airport.'

None of that is true.

We had a similar problem now bankrupt :-) Nouvelle Frontieres (owned by Air France) in Papetee, Tahiti.

In all instances, we were there 3+ hours before the flight, but they just don't care.

In my experience, only US (and Quantas) carriers understand that handicapped people who have problems walking, climbing or rising NEED to be in the bulkhead.

3. Re: Air Carrier Access Update

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 28, 2009