We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Access to public transportation in Paris

Connecticut Yankee
reviews: 9
Access to public transportation in Paris

Hi there: Can you tell me if the public transportation in Paris (metro, bus and what else?) are easily accessed by those in wheelchairs or by those with limited mobility (bad knees, weakness, etc.) Are there a lot of stairs to access the Metro stations? Any information you have will be helpful.

Connecticut Yankee
1. Re: Access to public transportation in Paris

I found this link on the Paris forum by doing a search on TA. Helpful, but it's no longer really up to date and there wasn't information about the metro.

access-able.com/tales/Paris-access-2003.html

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 65
2. Re: Access to public transportation in Paris

Hi;

I would suggest posting your question in the Paris forum as well.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g187147-i14-Paris_…

Best Regards

Paris 4th Arr
reviews: 7
3. Re: Access to public transportation in Paris

fussyguest, if it isn't too late to answer your question, the answer is "somewhat".

The regional commuter line, the "RER-B" that connects the airports to central Paris have both escalators and Elevators at the "Gare du Nord", "Chatelet", and "Port-Royal" stations. All the other Paris stops on that line have escalators at a minimum.

The new "Meteor" line-14 of the Paris Métro has both escalators and elevators at every station and it connects 5 train stations to the central métro and RER-B line at Chatelet. After that, it's hit or miss.

I'd recommend the bus system which is perfectly equipped for wheel chairs but the bus drivers and Paris traffic can make for a pretty herky-jerky ride and may be a problem for people with bad knees, weakness, etc..

If you are coming to Paris and have an itinerary in progress, I'd be happy to help with info on specific stations.

Connecticut Yankee
4. Re: Access to public transportation in Paris

Hi there: Thanks for your kind offer of assistance. I was trying to get information for the many people traveling to Paris and its environs who have had some difficulty accessing this great city. Here's a recent thread started on this forum by a poster who may need some extra help in this regard:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12336-k2756152…

Again: Thanks!

5. Re: Access to public transportation in Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:30 am, November 01, 2009