We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestion for destination?

maryland
reviews: 4
Suggestion for destination?

Imagine a cruise on the Queen Mary 2 with all of its enrichment programs and excellent dining, and you'll be able to picture what I'm looking for. Dad is 90; his intellect is perfect, but his ability to walk and stand is limited. I travel with him and would like to find a resort, special event, etc. based in the US.

Please think fast because he's bored with staying at home! Many thanks.

maryland
reviews: 4
11. Re: Suggestion for destination?

Somewhere, there are people following these posts who are shouting "Yesss!" Thanks so much for helping me and other children of aging parents help our great moms and dads have enjoyment and enrichment when the mind is willing but the body isn't.

I (and others) look forward to more US-based ideas for music/arts/theater events or places, which demand little walking.

Gig Harbor...
reviews: 110
12. Re: Suggestion for destination?

dadsgirl89 - YES -

Another reason I suggest Hawaii. A place where age is respected. A place where the body is merely a shell for the soul.

I thank you on behalf of all us aging parents! You are blessed and so is your father.

Connecticut Yankee
reviews: 9
13. Re: Suggestion for destination?

I think the Idea of a cruise may be better than its actuality. Walking through hallways or on decks while sailing can be difficult because of the ship's movement. This was an issue for some of the seniors in our group when they took a River cruise! (I was surprised too..but the rocking affected their stability while walking). This can be an issue on trains, as well.

You might contact the AAA organization in your area; they often have trips planned specifically for seniors. Is he interested in a bus tour at all?

Gig Harbor...
reviews: 110
14. Re: Suggestion for destination?

dadsgirl89 - Have had a recent conversation with an acquaintance regarding some of theses ideas.

There are a couple of places where you and your father can go and have an immersion of Hawaiian culture - if that interests you. There are cruises that take you around the islands and stop at the ports for a day, rent a car and see the sights, then return to the ship. NCL is very popular. - there are a few resorts where the culture is perpetuated and music in the Islands is intrinsic. Kona Village Resort on The Island of Hawaii, wheelchair accessibility and can provide a chair that will even navigate the sand. An acquaintance has been going there for many many years, he is well into his 80's. Another resort on that island that would be nice is Mauna Lani, a personal favorite. I believe that any of the Hawaiian Islands would offer all areas that you suggest - culture, music, history, as well as some incredible beauty.

I readily admit to being partial to Hawaii - Maui makes an excellent first Island - however Oahu is also a great idea.

Summer is family travel time, but a houlder season such as September through early December is a slower travel season. At Christmas it is Peak seaseon, However - there are Whales to watch from Oct - April and that can be done a multitude of ways.

15. Re: Suggestion for destination?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:22 am, November 05, 2009