We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning: TravelCounter.com

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 37
Warning: TravelCounter.com

I recently made a reservation at what I thought was ExtendedStay.com. I was surprised at check-in to be told that I had pre-paid via Expedia. Checking my e-confirmation I discovered that although I had searched for Extended Stay I had been directed to a website that looked like like the hotel's but instead was Travel Counter (no mention of Expedia but perhaps there is a connection to Expedia?). A Google search on Travel Counter shows many complaints from other travelers who have been similarly duped into thinking that they were dealing directly with many different hotel chains. Thinking I was giving them a credit-card to guarantee the reservation, I was instead paying for the entire six nights in advance. Therefore I had no flexibility to check-out early. Also, the hotel was unable to print a receipt for tax files.

Iowa
reviews: 30
1. Re: Warning: TravelCounter.com

Please post the link to the website you purchased from.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 62
2. Re: Warning: TravelCounter.com

Yes you do have to be careful to make sure you are on the correct website.

I find that happens to me sometimes when I google map quest or google maps. The first site that comes up is sometimes a phony site. Fortunately no credit card information is involved in that mistake.

I typed travelcounter.com and the site that comes up is for sale, but will link you to other travel sites.

Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
reviews: 16
3. Re: Warning: TravelCounter.com

Thanks for the heads up.

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 37
4. Re: Warning: TravelCounter.com

http://www.reservationcounter.com/

Sorry, it's RESERVATION COUNTER, not Travel Counter

Iowa
reviews: 30
5. Re: Warning: TravelCounter.com

Thanks for the clarification.

I looked around a little on that site and it appears that they do their own bookings. Not sure how you got to expedia?

If you give the name of the hotel and the city maybe we can help figure out what happened.

6. Re: Warning: TravelCounter.com

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 06, 2014