We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone know about Budapest, Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia etc??

London, United...
reviews: 1
Anyone know about Budapest, Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia etc??

Hi everyone

Me and my friend are British students and we are planning a trip to Europe in August from Budapest to Belgrade to Montenegro to Sarajevo to Zagreb to Pula to Venice (and the rest we are unsure of as of yet).

Are main issue at thE moment is the actual travelling between and would really appreciate anybody's advice regarding:

1. Budapest to Belgrade travelling

2. Belgrade to montenegro travelling and anywhere you recommend in Montenegro

3. Montenegro to Sarajevo travelling - this is where we are struggling because there is no train line between but we would be happy to book a coach if one exists!

After this we think we'll be alright but any advice would be amazing from somebody that has done something similar.

I've read up a lot on interail but I'm not entirely sure about it. And I've heard that the Hungary-Serbia border is quite difficult to cross? And I've also heard that although Montenegro is beautiful, in some areas the people can be very rude? This wouldn't put me off but would still be great to know.

Let me know your thoughts :) thanks!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
reviews: 19
1. Re: Anyone know about Budapest, Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia etc??

Well, you can also cruise the Danube between Budapest and Belgrade. Might be a fun alternative for you.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
2. Re: Anyone know about Budapest, Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia etc??

Your question includes a lot of different parts and I think you might want to consider separating the various trips and asking the questions separately on the local forum boards for each location. For example, for item 1, you could ask your question on the Budapest or Belgrade forums (see links below).

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g274887-i263-Budap…

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g294472-i6206-Belg…

I find the locals usually understand the options, rather than a general forum board, like Bargain Travel. Good Luck.

Sheffield
reviews: 85
3. Re: Anyone know about Budapest, Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia etc??

For train travel Seat61 is your friend. The train routes in former Jugoslavia are odd because they were built by and for the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

There are bus routes everywhere of course.

It will help if you can master a bit of Serbo-Croat and I'm afraid you will need to read it in both Roman and Cyrillic script - for timetables, menus, destination boards and so forth.

I assume that you have got guide books and maps - you are looking to cover a fair amount of ground on your proposed trip. As you are based in London, Sanfords in Long Acre will have all you need.

Money is a bit of a pest as you will have the joy of dinars, euros and kune and florints. ATMs are probably the way to go.

Do as bk_t1 suggests with the appropriate fora.

Have a good trip

4. Re: Anyone know about Budapest, Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia etc??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 05, 2014