We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who can help me plan an awesome adventure?

Bruce Mines, Canada
reviews: 8
Who can help me plan an awesome adventure?

I plan to take each of my children on an awesome adventure when they turn 14. The eldest chose Poland, Slovakia, Hungary and Slovenia with a fous on hot springs, mines and cave tours. The middle picked Nicaragua for surfing, ziplines and volcano boarding. Now it is the youngest's turn and he doesn't have any strong opinions.

Can anyone help? Where would you go with a sporty, quirky, quiet, silly 14 year old boy? He likes buskers, skiing, swimming, biking and lots of other stuff. He would rather not follow in his siblings foot steps.

As the mother I'm looking for value, safe hostels, backpacking, culture, local transportation and, maybe...easy english language access.

We will be travelling in July 2014.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
reviews: 126
1. Re: Who can help me plan an awesome adventure?

Not sure you will get skiing in July.

I would take him to a bookstore or a library to have a good browse in the travel section.

Swimming and biking covers a lot of territory...

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 60
2. Re: Who can help me plan an awesome adventure?

I agree! The quiet 14year old needs to learn to make his own decisions and he is old enough to do research on his own. IF not in a book store then on his computer!! IF he can't decide then he can put some possibilities into a hat and pick one!

BTW the other 2 adventures sound amazing! I bet he is just not sure enough of himself and needs to be encouraged that his decision will be a good one too!

Bruce Mines, Canada
3. Re: Who can help me plan an awesome adventure?

My question is:

Where would you go with a sporty, quirky, quiet, silly 14 year old boy?

Kingston, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
reviews: 108
4. Re: Who can help me plan an awesome adventure?

Thailand or Vietnam.

ktown

Jacksonville...
reviews: 199
5. Re: Who can help me plan an awesome adventure?

Southeast Asia....Central America....

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
reviews: 20
6. Re: Who can help me plan an awesome adventure?

Quirky, silent, sporty - sounds like Scandinavia to me.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
reviews: 31
7. Re: Who can help me plan an awesome adventure?

Alaska - a great adventure! :)

Charlotte, NC
reviews: 159
8. Re: Who can help me plan an awesome adventure?

Canadian Rockies?

Waterton National Park? Kananaski?

In any case - Alberta (& part of BC) Canada...

Unless he really wants to go to another country, as you live in Canada..I think..

Edited: 12:51 pm, January 31, 2013
Charlotte, North...
reviews: 18
9. Re: Who can help me plan an awesome adventure?

I like WhiskyTraveller's idea of Scandinavia. It's very different from what his siblings did, so there's that... I'm pretty sure you could find somewhere to ski there year round (Stryn in Norway?). Lots of good biking paths throughout too. You could venture above the arctic circle, that's a cool thing to be able to say he's done.

I've never been to Scandinavia, but the impression I get from those who have is that everyone is quite friendly and is quite safe. Pretty sure English is very widely spoken there as well. Might be a bit pricier than some other countries, but I'm sure you can find some good deals if you're on the look out.

Or, New Zealand. Another place I've never been but ALWAYS wanted to go. You can go from lying on a warm beach in the morning to skiing down a mountain in the afternoon. A great place for hiking & biking. NZ also may be a better value than Scandinavia. It's a safe country and, obviously, English is quite easy to get by with.

Ok, I'm pretty excited about his trip now... I'm ready to help plan!!!

(Also, re the first commentor who said it would be hard to ski in July. Southern Hemisphere experiences winter in July, so tons of skiing if you just head south.)

Bruce Mines, Canada
10. Re: Who can help me plan an awesome adventure?

Thank you KristinaD27,

New Zealand is definitely on the list of possibilities and Scandinavia has sparked some interest too. In the meantime he has started to show interest in Austria (or anywhere in the Alps).

Even the planning is an adventure.

Get answers to your questions