We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget beach honeymoon destinations for August???

Trinidad, California
Budget beach honeymoon destinations for August???

Hi! Thank you very mich in advance your your time and suggestions!

My fiancé and I are planning our honeymoon for this August and are hoping for suggestions for where to go! It looks like Lots of places we would like to go don't have the best weather then. We live in Oregon and would love to get some sun! Our "wishes" include:

1. Under $3000 total including airfare

2. Not too much of a resort scene (we're well traveled 20-something's and okay with rustic)

3. Beautiful beach/swimming/sun time (though some rain is fine as long as it's not ALL the time...we get enough of that at home!)

4. Somewhere not TOO far from the west coast as we only have two weeks (and not a ton of money), we've been looking at islands off of Panama, Costa Rica, etc but weather doesn't seem all that great in August.

Thank you!!

Kingston, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
reviews: 108
1. Re: Budget beach honeymoon destinations for August???

What about something like Sedona? Go to a beautiful resort with a nice pool area, couples massages, do some hikes...no beach but should have the sun you seek.

ktown

p.s. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Edited: 8:05 pm, January 24, 2013
Trinidad, California
2. Re: Budget beach honeymoon destinations for August???

Thanks so much for your response! Actually we've both spent quite a bit of time there, so I think we're pretty set on somewhere beachy. We are both very much ocean people, but are often in cold water, so would LOVE to spend our honeymoon with some sun and warm ocean! But it seems like August is not the best for Mexico and Central America, and Hawaii seems out of our budget so I'm a bit at a loss!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
3. Re: Budget beach honeymoon destinations for August???

The trouble is that August is hurricane season and so prices in the Caribbean are low then because of that. Many people DO still go on their vacations at that time of year and just take the chance that they'll be OK. I suppose it all depends on your risk tolerance. IF you want inexpensive beaches in summer in the Caribbean then you have to expect the chance of rain!

There is no way around that issue.

NJ
reviews: 73
4. Re: Budget beach honeymoon destinations for August???

Aruba is out of the hurricane belt, so may be a good option. The sand is soft, the water is calm & clear, and the people are friendly. If you want a quieter option there, try to stay away from the 'high rise' section and focus on the 'low rise' area that's closer to Oranjestad. We stayed at the Tamarijn two years ago and loved it -- but the resort next-door (the Divi) might be better for a honeymoon since it's more adult-oriented. We went all over the island with our kids and there was no location where we felt unsafe. Not sure what airfare is like from Oregon, but Aruba is a Caribbean option that's closer to a guarantee for good weather.

Jacksonville...
reviews: 199
5. Re: Budget beach honeymoon destinations for August???

Agree re: Aruba. My only issue with Aruba is it can get a little too resort-y for me. Try to book off the main drag, rent your own house, or stay closer to downtown.

6. Re: Budget beach honeymoon destinations for August???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 29, 2014