We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking last minute vacation

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 2
Booking last minute vacation

Hey,

I am looking to book a last minute vacation for February 10. I'm looking for peoples feedback on how long they have waited to book and what kind of deals they got. We're just over three weeks away from leaving and most other sites say book around now. We're not picky where we're going but somewhere south like the Dominican or Jamiaca, but I was just wondering am I better off booking something now or waiting til say the week before we leave. Any responses would be really helpful.

Thanks

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 86
1. Re: Booking last minute vacation

Book now. The closer you get to your travel dates, the higher airfare will be.

Belleville, Canada
reviews: 7
2. Re: Booking last minute vacation

If you aren't too picky about where you are going and where you want to stay you can check last minute deals/selloffs for reduced prices. Most travel sites have them. I've booked within a week of departure. Good luck!

Edited: 11:10 am, January 21, 2013
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
3. Re: Booking last minute vacation

The problem with waiting until the last minute will be airfare. Plane loads these days are pretty high (they sell out almost all seats). Maybe this is different for charter airlines, but this is generally true for conventional airlines. As inventory locks up, prices will rise for those last few seats. I would start looking now to understand your options, and book if you see a price that meets your budget.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 2
4. Re: Booking last minute vacation

Just thought I'd respond to everyone about how this turned out, (thanks for everyone's input it was exactly was I was looking for!). So we booked our trip to Punta Cana for February 10 and got a relatively decent deal of $1283, we booked the evening of January 31 (10 days basically before the trip). In retrospect, there was a better deal earlier in the week to Puerto Plata for $1152 but that sold out the day we went to go book. Puerto Plata has also sold out for that date, and there isn't many more options under $1300. So the moral of the story is book when you see a good deal for your budget!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
5. Re: Booking last minute vacation

<So the moral of the story is book when you see a good deal for your budget!>

Thanks for coming back to share your results. I definitely agree with this!!

6. Re: Booking last minute vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, February 05, 2014