We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USAA credit card

Fort Lauderdale...
reviews: 9
USAA credit card

Hi, I just wanted to let everyone know that I found out that USAA offers a chip and pin card to US travelers and it can be issued 3 months prior to your trip overseas.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, World Cup, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
reviews: 3,221
1. Re: USAA credit card

Thanks for sharing!

Kingston, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
reviews: 108
2. Re: USAA credit card

I've never had a U.S. establishment use chip and pin though? They still use the magnetic stripe. We do use the chip and pin here in Canada. Is the benefit to this that you could get cash advances from an atm?

ktown

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 11
3. Re: USAA credit card

I believe there are some things in Europe like certain ticket vending machines that will not work witth a card unless it is chip and pin enabled. I think from Memory thr OP is going to Paris and may have been looking for that type of card to use there. There is considerable discussion of the chip and pin issue on that Forum- I think ther is also bike rental system in Paris that uses kiosks that need chip and pin cards.

In the case of the tickets, you can still go to a live ticket window in the stations so it is just a minor inconvenience, but I believe the bike system relies entirely on using a card.

Kingston, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel
reviews: 108
4. Re: USAA credit card

Oh, okay.

Yes, it would be much easier I believe to travel to places other than the U.S. using chip and pin.

ktown

5. Re: USAA credit card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 pm, January 23, 2013
Decatur, Georgia
6. Re: USAA credit card

BA has chip-and-pin on some cards. I just converted to their TravelRewards which is by default chip-and-pin, no annual fee, and no foreign transaction fee. I'm not a huge fan of BA but this card should prove useful for traveling overseas. Also, for what it's worth, you get 1.5 points per dollar spent.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 51
7. Re: USAA credit card

I just called USAA to try and convert my current USAA Visa card to a pin & chip. My trip to Japan is in November and they told me I had to wait until 21 days before my trip to request the new card. Seems odd, not sure what the purpose of the wait is for. But I would never have known about the card if I had not read your post, so THANK YOU!

Edited: 3:26 pm, April 22, 2013
Fairport
reviews: 7
8. Re: USAA credit card

On Saturday, we spoke with USAA about best CC for overseas, and were recommended VISA with chip & pin, with the proviso that we'd have to get the card first, then request that it be converted to chip and pin which would TAKE 21 days. That's okay - we have the time...so we go ahead with it (with different rep), and after applying for VISA, we're told that for USAA, the MasterCard is the only one that can be converted to chip & pin. Conflicting information. First bum steer from USAA in 30 years.

Tempe, Arizona
reviews: 107
9. Re: USAA credit card

I thought all the BA CCs were chip and sign?

Los Angeles...
reviews: 51
10. Re: USAA credit card

Thanks for the update Maura, I didn't know about the VISA vs. MC for USAA. Maybe it's because the pin & chip card is new to USAA, that they are a bit confused about it. When I called, the attendant kept having to put me on hold to find out the answers to my questions. Anyway, I got an email form my Citi Bank Advantage card that they now offer the chip & "sign". I called and in about 2 minutes, they converted my card to a chip, and will be mailing it to me. It doesn't have a pin number though, so I'll still look into USAA's as I get closer to my trip.

Get answers to your questions