We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort Key – a new SCAM company?

Cambridgeshire
reviews: 35
Resort Key – a new SCAM company?

I am talking about Resort Key http://www.resortkey.co.uk/ and not of any other company of a similar name.

Resort Key have contacted me 3 times from Spain 00 349 66897418, but they are trying to appear to be a UK company by hiring UK staff and even their website uses .co.uk!

Their website is impressive and I was offered on the phone 2 weeks at a luxury resort for £399, follow up email says “1 week at a luxury resort + You have also been awarded a European holiday voucher* for up to 6 people in a holiday resort of your choice in either Fuerteventura, Ibiza, Mallorca, Malta, Portugal, Spain, Tenerife or Turkey. This includes 7 days accommodation and up to 3 return air tickets free! All you have to pay is a small administration fee £44.50pp”

Turning to their impressive website, ask yourself:-

Why is there no company address shown?

Why are there no contact details shown such as phone number and email address? The only contact is through a request form.

Why no membership number for ABTA or ATOL? After all they are selling holidays.

The email they sent me shows a premium rate number of 0843 207 4700

TO ME THIS STINKS OF A SCAM

CAVEAT EMPTOR – LET THE BUYER BEWARE

145 replies to this topic
Winchester, United...
1. Re: Resort Key – a new SCAM company?

Thanks - we've also been contacted too! It seems they're using old lists of people who they were previously trying to sell timeshares to ... sorry, not 'timeshares', but 'extolling the benefits of shared holiday ownership'!

We were offered a fortnight for £399 including flights - from 'where ever we want in Europe, including departures from Southampton and Bournemouth ' subject to season'.

When you try to find a specific detail on the website - it isn't available. I think they were previously trading as Direct Holidays which was definately a scam.

It would be great if was legitimate - but as you say - if it seems too good to be true.................!

Have you heard of anyone who's been caught by them?

David F.

Edited: 9:46 am, January 11, 2013
Leeds, United...
2. Re: Resort Key – a new SCAM company?

Hi, i too have been contacted by this company but foolishly paid money by credit card, then received a booklet from GOLDEN TRAVEL CLUB reqesting more money, think i've been scammed and will be talking to my credit card company. any ideas welcome.

cheers phil

West Sussex
reviews: 15
3. Re: Resort Key – a new SCAM company?

Well what do you know Joe !

I also got called today ! The call came through as international !

When I asked the lady who called, where they got my number from she told me that they got it through the ABTA Database ! BULL***T !

I was told that I coul go anywhere in Europe for £498 for up to 6 people for two weeks ! Ha Ha ! didn't mention theadditiona administration fee of £44.50 A PERSON !...........I could go on !

Leave it well alone .........If something sounds too good to be true it most probably is ! As Macl1uk says Caveat Emptor

Peter G

West Sussex
4. Re: Resort Key – a new SCAM company?

Hi Phil,

Yes you should talk with your credit card company because they can charge it back to Resort Key...........

But firstly you should contact Resort Key to cancel !

Good Luck

Peter G

West Sussex
5. Re: Resort Key – a new SCAM company?

THIS IS A COPY OF THE EMAIL THAT THEY SENT ME !

My Money is staying in my pocket !

It sounds more trouble than it is worth !

SPECIAL OFFER

We would like to thank you for speaking to one of our Representa­tives from Resort Key today. Fol­­lowing your recent telephone conversation, please find below the details of this unique opportunity

You have been allocated 2 separate weeks of accommodation, that can be used anytime within the next 2 years and 11 months. As a preferred client, you have the ability to select from any of our luxurious resorts.

The accommodation is for up to 6 people, how­ever please note that different resorts have differ­ent unit sizes. E.g. some resorts are hotel accom­modation, so will only sleep 2 people.

Your luxury weeks will be left open on a to be

arranged basis, giving you the flexibility to select your date and destination at your own leisure.

Where to use our weeks?

Experience the luxury 4 and 5 star accommodation in destinations such as Canary Islands, Malta, Spain, Dominican Republic, Bali… And many more. Visit our online resort guide for more information.

We have a full reservation team waiting to assist with your booking. You can contact us on the num­ber below with any reservation questions or queries.

When you are ready to book all you need to do is contact our reservations team. The necessary de­tails will be taken in order to process your booking promptly.

Please allow 6-8 weeks’ notice (more in peak seasons) for our reservation team to secure your avail­ability.

We will contact you shortly, however if you have any further questions in the meantime, please con­tact us by return or on our local rate number 0843 207 4700.

You have been awarded 2 European holiday vouchers* for up to 6 people in a holiday resort of your choice in either Fuerteventura, Ibiza, Mallorca, Malta, Portugal, Spain, Tenerife or Turkey. This includes 7 days accommodation and up to 3 return air tickets free! All you have to pay is a small administration fee £44.50pp

This exceptional offer is available to you today at the special price of only £498.00

Thank you for taking the time to read the details of this offer, we will contact you shortly, however if you have any further questions in the meantime, please con­tact us by return or on our local rate number 0843 207 4700.

Kind Regards

RESORT KEY

0843 207 4700

www.resortkey.co.uk

*(This voucher is marketed on behalf of another company and their Terms and Conditions apply)

England
reviews: 5
6. Re: Resort Key – a new SCAM company?

i to have been called by them several times on my mobile, so i have probably been charged a bomb as i was on there for ages,

too good to be true!!! as for the manager coming on the phone trying to make it sound like i have nothing to loose if i give them my card details!!! DO NOT GET INVOLVED IM SURE ITS A SCAM!!!!

West Sussex
7. Re: Resort Key – a new SCAM company?

You will notice that they say validity is 2 years and 11 months ! Why not 3 years as I was told !

That should ring alarm bells ! because under the law !!!! Read this please …europa.eu/consumers/…timeshare_en.htm

It is MOST LIKELY Resort key is a Holiday Club and would normally come under EU law which states that anyone who signs up and pays must hae a cooling off period ! and that applies to contracts of at least 3 years ! BUT !!! RESORT KEY CONTRACT IS FOR 2 YEARS AND 11 MONTHS !! And I think that says it all .........

I was lied to on the phone and told 3 years My advice is to give them and any other Holiday Club a big MISS and save your valuable time !

Reprinted

_________

3. Contract cancellation: holiday clubs

If you have already signed up to a holiday club and want to cancel, check the terms of your contract carefully and request cancellation immediately.

If you are not sure whether you are covered by the new 14-day contract cancellation (cooling-off) period for timeshare, get advice from your European Consumer Centre.

West Sussex
8. Re: Resort Key – a new SCAM company?

I too got called again ! They did not like taking no for an answer !

I told them not to call me again !

Cambridgeshire
reviews: 35
9. Re: Resort Key – a new SCAM company?

Give them 10 out of 10 for persistence; I have been called twice since saying NO.

When I said NO I had already done some research and when a young lad phoned me back I said that there was nothing on their website that gave me any confidence that to suggest that the company was kosher, for example no company address, no contact phone number or email, no ABTA or ATOL number – need I go on!

A few days later the same lad phoned me back and said had I received another email – NO, so then he put me onto his manager, I told him the same, the reply was no problem.

Then today the lady that phoned me before Christmas phoned again, I was in the toilet so just said I was not interested and hung up! Am I going to have to get rude for them to realise that they cannot SCAM me?

10. Re: Resort Key – a new SCAM company?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:57 pm, January 28, 2013

Reply to: Resort Key – a new SCAM company?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted