We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rewards travel

mississippi
Rewards travel

What is your guideline for paying for your travel vs. using your rewards miles?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
1. Re: Rewards travel

My guidelines vary trip-by-trip. How many miles, versus cash cost, versus how long to re-earn the miles, versus timing (ie. last minute). I'm as frugal with miles/points as I am with my own money, so I look for deals, too.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 10
2. Re: Rewards travel

I earn miles for specific travel goals and then use them to meet the goal. For example my next trip to Hawaii will be with miles. Generally speaking it is not a great idea to hoard your miles because they will devalue over time.

Scott

www.portlandtraveltips.com

Austin, Texas
reviews: 2
3. Re: Rewards travel

Agree with scott - don't hoard miles. Earn and burn.

www.noobtraveler.com is a site i visit frequently to get tips on mile values, etc.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 31
4. Re: Rewards travel

It depends alot on the travel habits and pattern of individuals, as well as which programs you have memberships with - as this will have a significant impact in terms of selection and options at your next destination. There are numerous threads about this type of discussion on the Air Travel forums.

5. Re: Rewards travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 03, 2014