We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rewards travel

1 post
Rewards travel

What is your guideline for paying for your travel vs. using your rewards miles?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,808 posts
194 reviews
1. Re: Rewards travel

My guidelines vary trip-by-trip. How many miles, versus cash cost, versus how long to re-earn the miles, versus timing (ie. last minute). I'm as frugal with miles/points as I am with my own money, so I look for deals, too.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
290 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Rewards travel

I earn miles for specific travel goals and then use them to meet the goal. For example my next trip to Hawaii will be with miles. Generally speaking it is not a great idea to hoard your miles because they will devalue over time.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
3. Re: Rewards travel

Agree with scott - don't hoard miles. Earn and burn.

www.noobtraveler.com is a site i visit frequently to get tips on mile values, etc.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
19,566 posts
58 reviews
4. Re: Rewards travel

It depends alot on the travel habits and pattern of individuals, as well as which programs you have memberships with - as this will have a significant impact in terms of selection and options at your next destination. There are numerous threads about this type of discussion on the Air Travel forums.

5. Re: Rewards travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 03, 2014