We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choice Privileges Points - "Is it just me?"

Jackson, New...
reviews: 88
Choice Privileges Points - "Is it just me?"

OK I am going to Grip. I got an email saying my Choice Hotel Points would Expire on 12/31/2012. My wife and I decided we would trade them in for Dining Certificates. We were concerned that the certs. would also have an expiration, so we waited till the last minute to order them.

So at 7am on the 31st we logged on and....all the points were gone. This was Choice's responce.

Thank you for your email Paul,

Choice Privileges points expire on December 31st, two years from the year in which you earned them. This information is located in the rules and regulations. The points expire on December 31 and are removed from your account on December 31. You are required to use any expiring points prior to the expiration date.

Thank you for your inquiry. I appreciate your membership with Choice Privileges.

Sarah J

Email Resolution Desk

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 59
1. Re: Choice Privileges Points - "Is it just me?"

So in other words you thought your points expired at the end of the day on the 31st and the rules and regulations state that you have to use the points prior to the expiration date. Sounds to me like you didn't read the rules and regulations thoroughly.

I do think it's sad when corporate policies are so inflexible.

Edited: 8:35 am, January 06, 2013
Jackson, New...
reviews: 88
2. Re: Choice Privileges Points - "Is it just me?"

The rules and regulations do not state "prior to":

Choice Privileges points expire on December 31, two years after the year in which they were deposited into your account unless forfeited or canceled earlier due to membership inactivity or otherwise in accordance to these rules and regulations.

I have always experienced that tickets, gift certificates, and coupons can be used through the date of expiration. So the points actually expired at midnight on December 30th.

No big deal just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 69
3. Re: Choice Privileges Points - "Is it just me?"

"Choice Privileges points expire on December 31"

Seems clear to me...12:01 am on the 31st = gone.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 59
4. Re: Choice Privileges Points - "Is it just me?"

I agree it's unclear from their rules and regs. Now I see what they wrote in the letter isn't really in their written rules is it? I'm glad it's not a big deal for you.

The only thing I can think of that's similar is store coupons. I always feel funny if I am using a coupon on the expiration date, but if memory serves coupons are honored on the expiration date.

Bayside, Canada
reviews: 5
5. Re: Choice Privileges Points - "Is it just me?"

Oh Im just beginning to use Choice Privelages and its a pain. Right away they say two separate nights one night free, that's not true, its 8000 points and depends on the hotel, second its not 8000 points they top up 5000 on top of three thousand that you earned, and if you don't register for the promotion you don't get the points, As much as I love jumping through hoops, I have done this with Best Western and it is a lot simpler

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 38
6. Re: Choice Privileges Points - "Is it just me?"

>>>and depends on the hotel<<<

Of course it does, do you even know how many brands are within the CHoice Hotels International Group? Unrealistic to think the same earning and redemption applies to all brands equally. That would be like saying it should be the same points value for redeeming flights, regardless of whether its first, business or economy.

Why should a Econolodge be entitled to the same rebate as a Clarion, when one is a 3 Star product, and the other a 5 Star?

Just like airline loyalty points, it's a bonus on top of a product you've paid for.

British Columbia
reviews: 2
7. Re: Choice Privileges Points - "Is it just me?"

If the are going to play the Choice Privileges points game, then study the rules and maximize your benefits. A no fee credit card can earn 24,000 points after first use and paying for a night at a Choice property. Some promotions require a 2 night stay ( example: Econo lodge) to qualify as 1 stay while a Comfort Inn only requires a 1 night stay. This is probably due to the much lower cost at staying at the Econo lodges.

The real value in Choice points is booking rooms in Europe when they lower the points requirement. I have a 225 Euro hotel in Rome booked for 10,000 points. At a $1.40 per Euro, this is a heck of a deal.

8. Re: Choice Privileges Points - "Is it just me?"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 28, 2014